Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows XP Damage

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ezooone

ezooone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hello..

My computer have problem with Windows XP..When I turned on my computer..it will appear like this : -

" Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair. "

I don't want to repair it..I want to format the computer..So how to do it? Thanks.. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Edited to remove spammy image. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 26 December 2009 - 03:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluehaze

bluehaze

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:38 PM

First off. make sure you have the OS install CD and the key.
By saying you want to format means you want to reinstall a FRESH Operating system and ERASING all your files from your OLD HD.

If that is what you want.

You need to insert your OS CD. Boot from the CD.. sometimes you may have to go to your BIOS to specify this. Other system starts with theCD first. So as long as the CD is in..it will try to boot. You must make sure to press a key when it ask you.

Then follow the install instructions.

**make sure you have drivers for your Motherboard and other hardware as well if you are installing XP.

Edited by bluehaze, 25 December 2009 - 10:39 PM.

#3 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

Yes..I want a new operating system..When we insert the disk..does the computer have a problem when we want to decide whether TO REPAIR or TO FORMAT?

EDIT: Edited to remove spammy image. ~tg

#4 bluehaze

bluehaze

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

no. it gives you the choice.

if you want to fully install. you want to choose format. the computer will not have an issue with it. it will do what you command it to do.

again. make sure you have all the drivers for your computer hardware. well especially the network card driver at the very very least.

#5 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:53 AM

Hai..I can't format that computer..when I inserted windows cd..the computer would not read it..then it will come to the same problem..

" Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair. "

what should i do now?

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:31 AM

My original Windows XP disk got various scratches etc on it over the years and could not be read. My son took it to a local PC shop where they have a machine that cleans up the face of CD's DVD's etc by recutting the disc. This worked perfectly for my disk and I had no problems with it after that. I understand these machines are easily available at lots of PC businesses so it shouldn't be too hard to find one.

If your disk cannot be read for these same reasons then I suggest you try and have it put through this process.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#7 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:09 AM

hmm..the disk looks fine to me..no scratch..i think the problem is the computer..is there any ideas to format the computer? or should I use other cd?

Edited by ezooone, 28 December 2009 - 08:10 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

Did you change the boot options in the BIOS...so that the system will boot from the optical drive, rather than the hard drive?

Louis

#9 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

I don't think I did that..can you teach me?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

System manufacturer and model (e.g., eMachines T2345)?

Louis

#11 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:18 AM

hmm..i'm not sure because it is an old computer..i left the computer in my office but i still have the motherboad cd..if i can't get the model..can i still format it?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

Worth a look, How to access-enter Motherboard BIOS - http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm .

The BIOS contains basic hardware setup for the system. One of the settings determines what is the first boot device. Per instructions in the BIOS, the setting for first boot device...must be changed to the appropriate CD/DVD drive...in order to boot said device.

In your case...to boot a bootable XP install CD, the first option must be the appropriate optical drive.

Louis

#13 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:47 PM

After you enter the BIOS and change the BOOT ORDER, restart your PC.
On boot up it should start reading from the Windows Install CD(in the drive) and start the Windows Setup process.

You can choose to install a fresh installation of Windows, before which you format the particular drive and select the same to install to.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 28 December 2009 - 03:48 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#14 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:20 AM

well..I already changed the boot order..the computer can read the disk now..thanks..however there is still a problem during the windows setup..first time when the computer read the disk..it comes like this..

" File syms810.sys caused an unexpected error (8192) at line 3540 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

Press any key to continue "

Then I pressed enter it appear like this..

" Setup failed. Press any key to restart your computer "

After that..I try to format my computer the second time..anyway..other situation happend..it appear like this..

" File usbehci.sys caused an unexpected error (8192) at line 5964 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup.c.

Press any key to continue "

Again I pressed enter then the computer state " Setup failed. Press any key to restart your computer "

hehe..so any advice? :thumbsup:

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

SymC810.sys...info at http://www.file.net/process/symc810.sys.html.

Not sure why this error would appear on an install effort.

You did delete your previous XP install (using the XP CD)...before trying to create a new partition and install XP?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users