Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best protect paid versions and free versions?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Daytomann

Daytomann

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hello all, I just got a new machine. Acer-5542-5462 with windows 7.

Of course it comes with the McAfee and Norton trials. Is either one worth purchasing when the trial runs out? If not, is there another AV that I can buy thats worth a darn?

I'd also like to get one or two free AVs for backup..Malwarebytes is one I'll probably get right away, any other good free ones I that you folks would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Daytomann, 25 December 2009 - 08:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:40 AM

As far as purchasing one, I don't see why you should when you can get a free program that works well. I've used Kaspersky and it was good. Now I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and since it's made by Microsoft, I figure they know Windows better than most companies.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:32 AM

IMO:

a. You should uninstall both of those, if they are truly AV programs. Two AV programs on one system at the same time...has been known to produce problems.

b. Download/install any one of several free AV programs. There is no such thing as a "best" AV program...and paying for an AV program does not necessarily improve its ability to perform. Often, users are paying for additional features which have nothing to do with the ability of the program to perform the basic AV function.

FWIW: Avira Free is a reliable, free AV program.

c. In addition to installing an AV program, supplementary programs such as SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes...probably ought to be installed, updated and run routinely.

d. One of the most important aspects of protecting a system...overlooked by many users...is the continuous timely install of any critical updates issued by MS.

Louis

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:50 AM

Of course it comes with the McAfee and Norton trials. Is either one worth purchasing when the trial runs out? If not, is there another AV that I can buy thats worth a darn?

If you want to purchase a program, figure out which one you want, go to the program website, see if there is a trial use offer. Install it, see it plays nice with your system, find out if it is user-friendly.

I'd also like to get one or two free AVs for backup..Malwarebytes is one I'll probably get right away, any other good free ones I that you folks would recommend?

Malwarebytes is NOT an anti-virus, it's anti-malware.

If you go with a free antivirus, make sure you get a FIREWALL. The Norton and McAfee trials on your system are suites, which include firewalls.

A list of free products can be found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:01 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials it is a complete suit and needs to be added to the list of free ones, I switched from the Kaspersky suit which I loved to the free MSE about two weeks ago it seems to be doing a really good job.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

If not, is there another AV that I can buy thats worth a darn?

I'd also like to get one or two free AVs for backup..

NOD32 is an excellent product as is Kaspersky. You do not want to run more than one AV application at any given time.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

You can use more than one on-demand anti-virus at a time, but you cannot use more than active protection anti-virus. Having more than one that stays active in memory will cause system instability.

Malwarebytes Antimalware
SUPER Antispyware
Ad-aware
AVG

There are tons of good free ones out there....I've just highlighted a few of the most used. I'm pretty sure all of those I listed can be upgraded to full version, too. I have a paid Anti-virus right now, but it's currently broken (failed update of pattern files apparently disables scanning entirely....I'm keeping safe by running MBAM and SUPER). I'm going to pay for the Full version of Malwarebytes soon (you get active protection, automatic updates, and automatic scanning).

To answer your question, I say "No", those are not worth paying for. Kapersky is a good paid one, I know. Google "best anti-virus" and look for a website with good reviews and a list of the best out there. That is a good place to start looking.

Wildabeast, I do not recommend just using Microsoft Security Essentials. If I recall correctly, using it is NOT a replacement for an anti-virus. It is a supplement. You say you think it is good because Microsoft people know more about Windows than anybody. If they knew so much, Windows would not be so vulnerable to viruses. I say using third party software like MBAM, SUPER, AVG, Kapersky, Avira, etc....is the better choice. You can use it, but I don't recommend by itself. I never used Windows Defender because it never found a darn thing, while third-party software dug the malware out of the woodwork of our old computer. I'll take a look at MSE, but I probably won't use it.

That's my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 26 December 2009 - 06:35 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 existenz

existenz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:55 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials is a full anti virus programme.

Best free anti-virus programmes

http://download.cnet.com/Avira-AntiVir-Per...cdlPid=11012914

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

p://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free

Best free firewall programmes

http://www.tallemu.com/products-online-armor-free.php

http://free.agnitum.com/

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

only use one of each of these.

If you download Comodo you will be given the option to install Comodo antivirus during setup this should be left unchecked.
Personally i use Avira antivir Premium (PAID) and comodo firewall with Defense+

But i have had good experiences in the past using Avast free which i prefer to Avira free
Every Firewall in the above list will offer better protection than windows firewall but at acost of more user interaction .

Another recommandation and probably the best thing i have ever put on my computer is

http://www.sandboxie.com/

These are personal choices and you need to find a setup which is safe and secure for your personal needs,we all need to learn from our past mistakes and remember how we got infected before because no solution is 100% effective.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

keyboardNinja Apparently you have not taken the time to research MSE, like I said Iwas running Kaspersky which is an excellent program and who know may go back one day. But the fact of the matter is MSE it full suite with very good input both here and many other sites. I have run it through several tests its only minor weakness was with pop ups, I cured that using an add on in Fir Fox, my thinking is those that wrote Microsoft know it weak points and write a good program. Now something that many do not realize Microsoft is losing its market share, there is a lot out there for users to choose from. It makes good sense for them to get into the protection business and other ancillary products, they can prove there worth then start charging. They know there core better then anyone out there!

Here are just a few reviews they show it to be not just good but very good!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/167325/micr...lts_are_in.html
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/913...makes_the_grade
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4785

Edited by OldPhil, 27 December 2009 - 01:15 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:44 PM

You are right, I have not researched it much (a Wikipedia article and one other website is all). I have only heard hearsay about it. That's why I said: "If I recall correctly...." I was just going on memory. :trumpet:

I don't have any good things to say about Microsoft's previous, similar programs, so I wasn't going to touch this one with a 10 foot pole with the knowledge I had of it. And when I'm already protected, I didn't bother looking at any more (MSE, to be precise).

If a person doesn't want to pay, and Microsoft offers it for free, then I say go for it. I'll stick to my other paid and free anti-malware for now. I'll probably install MSE on my Vista virtual machine or maybe my XP one, just for the heck of it. I already have a real-time protection program on my host OS and multiple on-demand, so I don't really need another.

Thanks for shedding some light on this. :flowers: :thumbsup:

Cheers. :inlove:

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) (previously codenamed Morro) is an antivirus software created by Microsoft that provides protection against viruses, spyware, rootkits, and trojans for Windows XP (x86), Windows Vista (x86 and x64), and Windows 7 (both x86 and x64), free of charge. MSE replaces Windows Live OneCare, a commercial subscription-based antivirus service and the free Windows Defender, which only protected users from adware and spyware. It is geared for consumer use, unlike Microsoft's upcoming enterprise-oriented product Microsoft Forefront.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Security_Essentials

:thumbsup:

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, that's the one I read. :trumpet:

When I get back to fast internet, I'll put it on my XP virtual machine. AVG's on it right now, but ahhh....I'll take it off. It free, too.

I had AVG installed on my Vista vm, but it's so freakin' slow (the vm itself) that I had to disable a whole bunch of stuff (anti-virus, uac, windows update, etc..). I'll update everything when I get a chance. I never use it, it's just there for diagnostics, tutorials, helping other people with Vista (so I can see what they're seeing), etc.....

Besides, it's not really "at risk" when the internet on it works about 5% of the time. :flowers: I'm not worried about it. If something happens, it's : DELETE the virtual hard disk file. Done. :thumbsup:

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:25 AM

I have the paid version of ZoneAlarm Antivirus which comes with the firewall (I do not use the Pro version or their Extreme Security Suite). I have used ZoneAlarm for years and love it. Not only does it give me virus protection and outbound protection, it has an operating system firewall that lets me control what all the programs on my computer do. There are many programs that try to update themselves all the time when I do not want them to, and do not have a setting that lets me prevent them from doing so, ZoneAlarm stops them from doing so. There are programs that want to add themselves to my startup that I do not want there and they do not have a setting that lets me prevent them from doing so, ZoneAlarm stops them from doing so. Some of those programs do not even have to be used to try to insert themselves there. There are Windows programs, and other legit programs, that want to "call home" that I cannot stop from doing so, but ZoneAlarm can. I use very safe surfing and downloading practices, in fact I hardly do any, but I know it is still possible that something might slip by my virus protection and I could get some kind of infection and if that happens, my firewall should keep it from "calling home" with any of my information or sending invites for some of its malicious friends to come join it for a party on my computer.

It isn't free, but I feel it is well worth the 30 bucks for the program and the 20 bucks yearly renewal fee, and you can put it on three computers

I would never not have a firewall that provides outbound protection and the XP firewall does not have that and the one in Vista doesn't have good enough outbound protection.

I use ZoneAlarm antivirus and firewall and for on demand scanners for malware/spyware I like Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. I also use Spybot and SpywareBlaster to immunize my system.

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

^That's the kind of good security practices I was talking about. :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users