Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

7 And XP Dual Boot Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow6697

Shadow6697

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:07 PM

Well, today I dual booted XP with windows 7. Don't know why I just felt like having to OS's(Stupid reason, I know). Now I made a partition on 500gb HDD (Now will be referred as HDD 1) and installed it. Now My 100gb (HDD 2!), has all my contents of my old C: drive that has windows xp bios and stuff on it. But now, HDD 2 is looking in W7 folder (Made a whole new drive [E:] when I partitioned it with the "Windows 7" label on it, within it are the contents of the OS, W7) trying to find vital files to run it ( While on W7 OS). Obviously, I go into XP and it works fine. My question is, is there anyway to fix this? I don't, really dont, want to reinstall EVERYTHING. I also don't want to use XP whenever I want to open a program as im currently in favor of Windows 7. I tried to write this as best I can, so if you need anymore distinct information, just ask.

.Content HDD's.
[E:] Windows 7
[C:] HDD 1
[D:] HDD 2

(Not sure if there exactly right drive letters, as said before just ask for more info)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying or asking.

Do something for me and I'll be better able to understand your situation:

Type the following into the Run box (just do "Windows Key + R" on the keyboard for the shortcut to it) and hit Enter:

diskmgmt.msc

Maximize this "Disk Management" window and take a screenshot using the "Prnt Scrn" button on the keyboard. Paste this into Paint, save it, upload it to the internet, and post it here.

Disk Management can speak loads for what is going on in a system better than most people can.

Also, try to explain your problem better. I couldn't understand exactly what your problem is. Something about the OS looking in the wrong place or something. Use the names in Disk Management to refer to what partition, hdd, etc... that you are talking about. Do you have one hard drive with multiple partitions? Or separate hard drives? I don't know what you want to "fix" because I don't know what the problem is. I can most likely fix your problem once I know what it is.

Spell it out for me very plainly, and I'll do my very best to help you. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

Here's what a typical Disk Management screenshot looks like (without the pane on the left):

Posted Image
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users