Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think DVD eject buttons are BACKWARDS *pic*

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

Computers are supposed to be placed at the bottom of the desk and almost always to the right, like mine.

Well when I eject the dvd tray, the tray is in my way of pushing the button again to close it. I mean I can push it, but its not convenient. I like the way the button looks on the bottom right, but perhaps it should be above the DVD tray. Comments?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:23 PM

Hi TheEgg
I see what you mean but unfortunately that’s just how life is. Our family has had several Dodge caravans. After we traded in the 98 we had a 2002. Chrysler, in their wisdom had redesigned the door so that the interior had a bump out for the window controls. Came just where my left knee use to lean against the door. Also the arm rests seemed designed for 5’ tall women not a 6’ tall man. Just too short and too close so that my arm falls to the outside of arm rest. Regrettably they did not consult me when they did the redesign or I would have set them straight.. :flowers:
Nice job on your illustration. But just think if you were left handed and put the computer on the floor on the left side you would think they designed the DVD button position to specifically meet your requirements.
Thanks for your topic. I have wanted someplace to vent on the Caravan design.
Merry Christmas, Wishes for a prosperous New Year and Best Regards :thumbsup:
Nawtheasta

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:18 AM

I have two CD/DVD burners in my tower, but I haven't had too much trouble. My hand tends to sneak in underneath the trays. My gripe is that there are only two 5¼ in. drives and they're right on top of each other, so if I'm copying from one disc to another there's no way to reach one of the buttons. Maybe if the Eject buttons were placed on the front of the tray?

As far as Dodge Caravans go, we had a 1996 model and our current Caravan is a 2003 model. In the 1996 Caravan the speedometer was in the center, the gas gauge was to the right, and the engine temperature gauge was to the left. In the 2003 model the same three gauges are the same shape and size, but the gas gauge is to the left and the engine temperature gauge is to the right. For the first several months that I had the 2003 I would glance at where I expected the temperature gauge to be, see the gas gauge reading "full," and have a panic attack that the engine was about to melt down!

Now, that bothered me!

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:21 AM

hey, I dunno about you but I prefer my towers to be on the left, and either at desk level or just below it. mine right now is to the left of my desk on a smaller desk thingy that sits about halfway up to my main desk so the top of the tower (which is rather large) sits a little below halfway up my monitor. I think placement of computer towers varies dependent on the person, but where im from most people put them to the left of the monitor. ever notice that most towers where the power buttons arnt centered, theyre on the right side as well? because thats the norm. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

Does anyone have a CD or DVD player in a PC that does not close when you gently push the tray in?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

Does anyone have a CD or DVD player in a PC that does not close when you gently push the tray in?

That is how I used to close mine. Then I found this little trick. The closetray.zip includes two registry tweaks. One to add "closetray" and one to revert the change.

Of course this does not work on laptops. Also I have only used it on XP.

Edited by ThunderZ, 26 December 2009 - 10:01 AM.

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

Oh, in that case, one might try:

Open/close CD/DVD tray Gadget.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

the interior had a bump out for the window controls
I have wanted someplace to vent on the Caravan design.

You and me both.
I hate it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

Windows needs to have a close DVD tray by default. Why just open and not close? Seems common sense.

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

MS cannot guess as to the hardware in your computer, so if they can't make it work for all they will just leave it out. Like the registry tweak listed above doesn't work for laptops due to the fact laptop drives don't have the motor but rather sprigs to "pop" the drive out only a little ways. By not putting an "Open/Close Tray" option MS saves countless hours of labor explaining to laptop owners that it is impossible to make it close "automagicly"

Oh and as to why the buttons are on the right side... way yon back in the day (think 1995)CD Drives had Volume controls and headphone jacks independent of the PC controls on the Left hand side of the drive so someones headphone cord wouldn't get tangled in the tray and ruin the drive and their head phones to boot and things just never changed.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 27 December 2009 - 06:06 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users