Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google search redirects , ooo dear :(

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JackDinn

JackDinn

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

Hi all,

I have just installed a new xp installation on my parents comp and 3 days later they are complaining that there not getting the pages that they normally get when clicking on a search result in google.

So i have a look and god dam it if they haven't contracted some kind of browser hijacker !

after doing a google search when clicking on the top few results (quite often the sponsored ones) its getting redirected to odd pages. If i go back to the search results and click the same link (result) again it take me to a completely different page than last time and so on.

Iv tried :-

spybot S&D
Ad-Aware
Avast scan
HJT & submitted it to http://www.hijackthis.de/ (nothing showing here)
Iv tried a system restore also.

I know the day it happened , i installed a copy of xnview & vso image resizer (both of which iv used for ages & tested on a virtual machine today from the same installation files, but was all fine)
The only other thing that happened was they had a mem stick sent to them from a relative with a load of photos which they connected to there pc that day to have a look at the photos.

So im at a bit of a loss now , i really dont want to do another clean install of there XP so any suggestions would be great.

Thx all.
Jack.

P.S. working through this post atm http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/281490/google-search-results-hijack/

To clarify the above sentence: apparently following the instructions in this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1551875 ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 December 2009 - 06:09 PM.

Thx for your time,
Jack.

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

What boots up must come down.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JackDinn

JackDinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:21 AM

well after using almost all the free anti spyware/adware programs and other little apps suggested i was getting nowhere but i decided to have a go with ComboFix & after running through it the problem does now seem to be gone. It will probably take a day or two before im absolutely sure its fixed but its looking good so far.

However the instructions for ComboFix do say that even if he problem does look like its fixed after the initial scan that i should still post my logs for the pro's to have a look at so I would like to post the HJT, Mbam & ComboFix logs but im not sure if they should be posted in this forum section.

Should i post them here ?

Thx all.
Thx for your time,
Jack.

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

What boots up must come down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users