Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank background after login/worm.win32.netsky removal difficulties

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 A Thompson

A Thompson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

I'm not sure if I'm having two seperate problems, or the login problem was created from the virus.

I have posted in another forum and with no luck (as in no even answered), I'm desperately seeking help elsewhere.

I logged into my username with my password, and all I get is my desktop background. And then.. nothing. No start menu, no icons, no green screen that was there before from the virus.

I don't know if I should have, but I did anyways, let it sit all night, hoping something would come up, and it did nothing.

So that's my first issue.. and I can't seemingly solve my virus issue unless I can get logged in.

My computer will not boot up in any of the regular Safe Modes, only in "Normal" and "Last Configuration", and this was going on before the login issue.

I desperately need help logging into my system.

Things that may or may not be important..
I have an HP Pavilion Desktop, with Windows XP, 5.5 years old.
I cannot find my recovery discs.
I use wireless connection.

My second problem is the worm.win32.netsky virus, and I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm going to go ahead and post the problems with the difficulties I was having removing it before I had the login issue.

I could not seem to download anything. I only had the options of "save file" or "cancel" when downloading any of the tools mentioned in the guides. Once I saved the file, I had no idea where it went. I have searched for it and tried to run it both, to no avail.

I do have another computer, so I used it to download the tools mentioned in guides I found online. I copied them onto a CD and tried to put the disc into the infected computer. My Computer will not open the cd, does not recognize that there is even one in the drive. I do not have an empty flash drive, but could get one if necessary.

Symptoms of the system include:
-After I was able to log into my desktop, a popup came up telling me I have the win.worm32.netsky infection.
-Popups for Internet Security 2010, which I have no idea what that is so I refuse to click on it.
-A microsoft internet explorer popup, that displays nothing, and I don't use IE, I use Firefox. I thought I had uninstalled IE ages ago.. It's not on my programs list.
-A yellow bubble at the bottom right corner of my screen, coming from a red X that won't go away from my toolbar, claiming "system warning!" and things of that nature.
-Programs such as system restore will not open, claiming to be infected.

That's all the information I have jotted down to search for help, so is there anyone out there who can get me started on fixing my system?

Also, a last question. I have an Apple iPhone, and have recently put more music onto my iTunes from ripped cds. Is my iPhone at any risk?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips, and sorry for the long post!

-Amanda
(Merry Christmas!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users