Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't boot properly, Please Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 steens15

steens15

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

Hi, my computer was working fine, aside from being slow and having a trojan, but it was restarting fine and all programs aside from malwarebytes would run. I was trying to correct that issue by running combofix, which I downloaded from this site.

As combofix was beginning to run (the load bar was full when this happened) my power flickered out for a second, and my computer shut off--

So now when I start my computer I get the message: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully, A recent hardware or software change may have caused this"....etc. then it gives me the option of booting into Safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good config, or start normally.

I have tried Safe mode, last known config and start normally, and still it begins to load windows -- goes to the screen with the Logo and load bar, the bar runs across about 3 times then it goes right back to this screen. I was hoping there is some way I can get this to boot without having to reinstall everything as i have a ton of media on this comp that I haven't backed up :thumbsup:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time, Merry Christmas and God bless.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:58 PM

As a start you should try to backup your important files:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 steens15

steens15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:43 AM

k, got that iso downloaded, was able to access my files easily and back them up...

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:08 AM

FWIW,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

The damage is probably done...You have your files backed up...Hopefully on another drive or media such as CD's etc...Unfortunately as I see it your only option is to do a fresh installation using a valid XP CD...create and format all partitions. This may not have had to be done if you would not have used ComboFix unsupervised...While it is a great tool for malware removal, it also does other things that may not be repairable outside of a fresh installation.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 steens15

steens15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

Well it wasn't completely unsupervised, I'ved used it before as well with no problems, the problem here was that the power to my apt. cut out for 2 seconds after it loaded....the next step for it would have been to set up the recovery console...i have that as an option when I press f8, but it just gives me a blank screen with just aflashing cursor when I select it....everything works fine in Ubutu, but yea if I can't install a recovery console by CD, or run combo fix in ubutu (not sure if that would do anything, than you're prolly right about me being SOL :thumbsup:

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:58 PM

My comment about unsupervised use means that did any malware expert here ask you to run ComboFix...You have used it before and lucky for you you suffered no ill-effects...That doesn't always happen...

"ComboFix is a program, created by sUBs, that scans your computer for known malware, and when found, attempts to clean these infections automatically. In addition to being able to remove a large amount of the most common and current malware, ComboFix also displays a report that can be used by trained helpers to remove malware that is not automatically removed by the program.

You should not run ComboFix unless you are specifically asked to by a helper. Also, due to the power of this tool it is strongly advised that you do not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by ComboFix without supervision from someone who has been properly trained. If you do so, it may lead to problems with the normal functionality of your computer.

Please note that this guide is the only authorized guide for the use of ComboFix and cannot be copied without permission from BleepingComputer.com and sUBs. Furthermore, the ComboFix program cannot be hosted at any other site without direct permission from the developer. It is also understood that the use of ComboFix is done at your own risk."

If you want to use ComboFix, you will have to go to the HighJackThis Forum...Post your symptoms...Don't post any ComboFix logs or even try to run it without being asked to by your helper.Do Not ask for advice on how to use it here.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users