Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Drive Backup Networking

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jayspot

jayspot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:27 PM

Hi there - wondering if any of you can help ... I am new here but I would consider myself an advanced PC user.

SETUP:
Two XP SP3 machines (one wired desktop - one wireless laptop)
Standard wireless linksys router
One external 500 GB USB 2.0 drive connected to the laptop -- strictly used for backup purposes and nothing more.

I have established a network backup procedure using dantz retrospect on each machine so that the external drive can be utilized by both the desktop and laptop. The laptop runs perfectly - I have set up a partition on the drive and it backs up without issue. I have set up another partition for the desktop and it will back up providing the partition maintains its sharing setting. I do not leave the external drive on (I safely remove the hardware after both machines complete their backup daily) and do not want to leave it running. By not leaving it on, the partition usually loses its sharing the next time the external is turned on and I have to re-share the partition so that the desktop sees it over the network.

Is there any way to share the partition so that it does not lose its sharing setting even if the external drive is turned off? I have been unsuccessful of troubleshooting this online so I figured I would join this site after a friend recommended it to me. Leaving the external drive on will of course resolve the issue, however this is undesirable for a home setup where backups are only run once daily ... otherwise the drive is not used so by keeping it on 24/7, it will spin for nothing and die much sooner.

Many thanks for your help!
Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jayspot

jayspot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

Your help would be most appreciated. I see that twelve views have accumulated ... so someone must have a suggestion - either a solution or confirmation that there is no fix and that the settings will need to be manually set again and again when the external is powered on. Currently, it does not always lose the settings...sometimes the settings are remembered, sometimes not.

Thanks!

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

Does it lose the permissions if you plug it into the desktop?

Is it losing it inside the software or in Windows?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 jayspot

jayspot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

thanks for your response. So, i have no in fact tried it on the desktop but I have another setup that I manage .... four machines, one usb external drive similar to this one that is plugged into a desktop...and I encounter the same issue. I turn on and off the external as needed, maybe a few times a week, and when it is off, it generally loses the network sharing permission on the folders I have set up for the three machines which connect to the external drive over the network. So i would expect the same reaction with this setup no matter which machine the drive will be plugged into.

It is losing the sharing inside of windows. Retrospect software, in case you are not familiar with it, allows for backup scripts to be created and automated using a scheduler. I have set it up to back up to the networked partition of the external drive but of course, if it is not shared the backup does not complete until I go into the drive and re-share the partition. In windows XP, the "hand" that you see when a partition/folder/file is shared would be gone until I re-share the partition. But I am unfamiliar with whether the actual sharing priviledges are saved on the actual laptop or within the external drive. I would expect it to be on the external drive since it is its own entity but I could be wrong. Shared folders on a laptop/desktop do not lose their priviledges when a machine is powered down ... so if the settings were saved on the laptop in this case, I would expect the drive to host the same settings when it is turned on.

Lets see if this helps you.

Thanks!

#5 jayspot

jayspot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

No offense, but it would be great to actually hear what someone has to say on the matter (after 67+ views especially...). This does not seem too advanced to go without much response but perhaps I am missing something. As a new member here I figured it would be addressed sooner than later. Thx!

Edited by jayspot, 27 December 2009 - 12:59 PM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

What planet do you live on? Cause here on Earth 2 days ago it was bleeping CHRISTMAS. No one here gets paid for this. And at this point I could care less about your issues.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 jayspot

jayspot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

I live on earth but thanks for the reminder. And I am aware of the fact that no one is paid ... this is a forum for all to help others to the best of my knowledge. I was plenty friendly in my posts including the response above so your attitude is unwarranted. Didnt your parents ever teach you some manners ... if you have nothing nice to say - dont say anything at all. Chill out dude, you will live longer. :thumbsup:

Regardless of the holidays SIR, the topic has had over 67 views. Other than the 3-4 views I have made, someone should have had something to say, even if its "not possible, sorry" but perhaps I am wrong and this issue is tough.

Other than the individual above who thought it be fair game to bash a newbie because he is an "oh so important" senior member here who is not an example of what this site SHOULD be about, could someone help me out constructively? Thanks.

#8 jayspot

jayspot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

I guess this section of the website isnt frequently visited, isnt familiar with the problem and hence cannot offer a solution, or just do not want to help. Whatever the reason, thank you for considering the question. I will not let the single member above ruin my first experience here and intend on using this site as it seems to be a great source for knowledge. I am quite advanced and intend on also helping with questions as I see them and can respond.

Happy Holidays!
Jason

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:29 AM

Try this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users