Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware blocking MalwareBytes (post-update), fake anti-malware program

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 malwarefortheholiday

malwarefortheholiday

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:51 PM

Hi all,

My dad has asked me to take a look at his computer after it's been acting odd, and it looks like he's got a doozy of something running on the system. He's been getting some pop ups advertising various programs, the desktop is changed to text reading "Your system is infected! System has been stopped due to a serious malfunction. Spyware activity has been detected" (which is not something any program that should be running would display", Task Manager is blocked from opening and a fake piece of anti-spyware has taken up residence (don't have the name off hand).

Looking at the log, I found a couple of things that I'm not a fan of - batmeter16.dll, for starters. There's a couple others I don't recognize, but I am not sure if they are bad or not.

Unfortunately, my attempts to fix it have been thwarted - an AVG scan said it cleared it up, but more pop ups came. I tried to run Malware Bytes, but when I download the latest update through the program, I get a nice warning message saying "The database you are using is not supported by this version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Download the latest version of the program."

Additionally, this came about because I tried to start into Safe Mode to get this cleaned up. I couldn't get my keyboard to register keystrokes before Windows started, which kept me from accessing the dialogue allowing Safe Mode to be entered, so I modified boot.ini to force a safe mode boot. Unfortunately, this brought about a blue screen that only went away when I was able to get back in and return boot.ini to its normal state. I haven't tried this again, simply because I don't want to have to mess with fixing that again.

I've attached the Hijack This log to this post.

Thanks so much for the help!

I have some bad news - I restarted the computer, and now when I try to enter a user account on XP, it instantly logs me back out.

I tried to do a reinstall of XP off the CD that came with the computer, but it didn't even start. The CD works; I can't say for sure that the computer recognized the CD, but the computer sounded like it did.

I cannot access the boot menu as the computer is starting up; the keyboard just doesn't register before the start of Windows.

I'm going out of town early Sunday and will be unable to help my dad for a week after that. Any help would be appreciated; quick help would be really appreciated!

Merged posts. ~ OB

Attached Files

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 December 2009 - 09:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Members
  • 6,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:11 AM

Hello, my name is fenzodahl512 and welcome to the forum.. Please do the following....

Please download The Comedian.exe by Rorschach112 to your desktop
  • Please disable all of your antivirus/firewall before doing this step. Please visit HERE if you don't know how..
  • Double click the program to run it. It will only take around several minutes to run.
  • It will do a series of tasks and tell you when each one is finished.
  • You will be prompted to press any key after each step
  • When it is done it will close and exit itself automatically.
  • You can delete The_Comedian.exe once it is finished
STOP! if you can't complete this step.. Tell me more about it..

NEXT

Please download OTL by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.

Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box paste this in

netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
eventlog.dll
scecli.dll
netlogon.dll
cngaudit.dll
sceclt.dll
ntelogon.dll
logevent.dll
iaStor.sys
nvstor.sys
atapi.sys
IdeChnDr.sys
viasraid.sys
AGP440.sys
vaxscsi.sys
nvatabus.sys
viamraid.sys
nvata.sys
nvgts.sys
iastorv.sys
ViPrt.sys
eNetHook.dll
ahcix86.sys
KR10N.sys
nvstor32.sys
ahcix86s.sys
/md5stop
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
CREATERESTOREPOINT

Don't change any setting... Just click on the Run Scan button.. Let it scan till finish..

Then a log will pop-up at your Desktop. Post the content of the log here

NEXT

We need to scan for Rootkits with GMER
  • Please download GMER from one of the following locations, and save it to your desktop:
    • Main Mirror
      This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
    • Zip Mirror
      This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Close any and all open programs, as this process may crash your computer.
  • Double click Posted Image or Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • You may see this window. If you do, click No.
    Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image and wait for the scan to finish.
  • If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • Push Posted Image and save the logfile to your desktop.
  • Copy and Paste the contents of that file in your next post.

Post me these logs in your next reply.. Post each log in separate post..

1. OTL
2. GMER

Keep calm, make it simple, use your brain, don't freak out, and you'll be just fine..
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.. True story - Barney Stinson
Posted Image Posted Image
Its gonna be legen.. wait for it.. dary! Cherish the pain, it means you're still alive

#3 malwarefortheholiday

malwarefortheholiday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

I'm really not able to do that, due to a lack of ability to stay logged into a user account. I'm thinking a reinstall of XP would be the way to go - just wipe this stuff clean, and move forward. Do you agree?

#4 fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Members
  • 6,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:18 AM

Hello.. Apologies for the delay.. I was very-very ill for two weeks, and it affected my life.. Now I'm back..

Do you still need help?

Keep calm, make it simple, use your brain, don't freak out, and you'll be just fine..
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.. True story - Barney Stinson
Posted Image Posted Image
Its gonna be legen.. wait for it.. dary! Cherish the pain, it means you're still alive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users