Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 wowser8

wowser8

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

Ok I recently got a new video card and ram. I tried to install the new video cards drivers and it failed it wasn't really installing... It was like trying to but it said it failed. I kept on trying but it didnt work. I thought what the heck and turned off my computer and installed the ram. I try and turn my computer back on and i hear a series of beeps. The screen just stays black and it has an orange 'off' light. The beeps i think were 2 long then 2 short then 2 long. Not sure tho. I can record the sound and the inside of my computer if u need to hear it. Anyways i tried reseting bios and it didnt help still had the beeps. Ontop of all this my computer has a virus and its already unusable but now with the screen not usable my computer is just like a brick.... Please help me.

Thanks.

Video of my problem...

Edited by wowser8, 25 December 2009 - 08:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

Remove and re-seat the video card
If it requires an extra power plug make sure the connection is tight
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 wowser8

wowser8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

its pci slot since my comp is really old. no power plug needed. Im just saying that i think the drives didnt install properly so it wont work. Ill try by re seat do you suggest i put it in another slot? i only have 2. I need to have it 1 slot apart from my fan anyways. anyways will put it back in and plug monitor into it. will tell you what happens

#4 wowser8

wowser8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

I just put it back in my comp plugged in monitor to it and it didnt work =\ thanks for the suggestion though :thumbsup:

#5 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

Does your computer have onboard video? (a blue trapezoid VGA plug on the motherboard on the back). If so, you need to plug the monitor into that, right click, display options, get to a picture of a monitor or 2 and set the primary one to the video card. Extend your desktop to it.

#6 wowser8

wowser8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

yes it does have onboard video card. I did plug it into that no picture on the screen. The problem is that there is NO DISPLAY on the monitor... its just black Thanks anyways

EDIT: Dont know if this means anything but when i turn it on the power goes on then it goes off then 3-4 seconds later it completely powers on but the monitor is still black.

Edited by wowser8, 25 December 2009 - 06:23 PM.

#7 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:12 PM

By power, I think u mean the monitor. Like sometimes with this card, the monitor will go black (and I would HEAR it go black) and come back on again.

It sounds like your monitor is going black then not coming back on again. The card COULD be bad.

Oh, I know, are u sure your power supply can handle the card? Like the card I have requires a 450w PSU. I got a 500w one. I think most computers you buy in the store that arent meant for gaming might come with no more thana 350w power supply.

Try getting updated drivers for it by visiting AMD's (ati) and Nvidia's websites.

Like I said, theres a chance the card could be broken, but its been my experience that 99 times out of 10, its the person doing something wrong.

#8 wowser8

wowser8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:51 PM

its not the card cus this happened before i put the card in it happened when i failed installing the drivers and i just put ram in then rebooted my comp. And by power i mean the computer it goes on then goes off for 4 seconds then goes back on. my computer is like a dell e3100 its really old. The card requires 300w but i have 240w and i heard that it works on 200w and ive seen people use it on 200w. its not the cards i just screwed the video drivers up and i dont know how to fix it to get a picture back on the screen. I can take a video if you need more of an explanation.

#9 wowser8

wowser8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

#10 TheLynxEffect

TheLynxEffect

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

First things first, remove the memory which you added, to remove this from the equation as it could be bad ram.

Make sure you montior is plugged into the onboard VGA port. Once you have done this make sure the new video card is removed and start up the PC, start hitting the F8 key until you get the Safe mode boot options.

I would then boot using the 'Enable VGA mode' as this will mean that the new drivers will not be used. Hopefully this will at least get you back into windows to uninstall the drivers. You can then re-boot and start windows normally. Once you have done this succesfully you can re-add the ram and boot again. If the problem then re-occurrs you will know that it's bad ram.

I have watched your video and can't quite make out the beep codes. You could have a look at the following link to help you decipher them.

http://www.nullamatix.com/dell-diagnostic-...shooting-chart/

Hopefully this will be of some assistance.

TLE

#11 wowser8

wowser8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:01 PM

My monitor wont show the bios menu as it doesnt show a picture at all.. I did what you said still not picture on the monitor so i cant do anything T.T

as for the beep sequence I heard beep beep beep-beep beep beep so would it be 1-1-2-1-1 ?

not sure about that...

Edited by wowser8, 25 December 2009 - 10:04 PM.

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

The beep code 1-1-2 in Dell machines usually indicates a processor failure. But to me it sounded more like 1-3-3-1 which indicates a RAM failure.

Most Dell computers have four LED lights in the back of the machine. If all four are green, then everything is hunky dorey, if not the specific pattern can be used to determine what's wrong. Please locate these LEDs on your machine and reference this chart for which sequence you see: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...des.htm#1101590

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 25 December 2009 - 10:20 PM.

#13 wowser8

wowser8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

Alright so i had the first light green and the rest are blank: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...t.htm#wp1130520 reference there. Heres what it said:

No memory modules are detected.

* If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module (see "Memory"), and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
* If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer (see "Memory").
* If the problem persists, contact Dell for technical assistance.

I don't understand tho i put the old memory back in and it still doesn't work? =\

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

Try putting only one stick of memory in. Try that stick in each slot in turn. If it doesn't work, then try each remaining stick. If none of them work in none of the slots then either the memory sticks have all been damaged or the motherboard/memory slots are damaged. If it's the motherboard or memory slots, then there's not much that can be done beyond simply replacing the motherboard. If the computer is still under warranty, and if that warranty isn't voided by adding hardware like video cards or new ram, then contact Dell for a replacement.

#15 wowser8

wowser8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:42 PM

Trying that now.... the computer is like 6 or more years old. I dont understand how i could have broken the memory or motherboard... I bet its the motherboard... Man this sucks. Will post back soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users