Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformating without the install disc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:06 PM

My computer seems to be one of those who had the OS pre-installed. If i would like to reformat the HDD, how do i do? It does have both C: and D: where i think D: is some sort of "virtual drive" (C is 226 GB and D: is 6 GB). C is named HP_PAVILION and D is named HP_RECOVERY. On a side note, i would really like to be able to reinstall Windows XP.
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

:flowers:

Firstly I would suggest you contact HP and get them to send you out a Disk.

To my knowledge the Recovery Partition is just that, not a Reinstall.

IMPORTANT!!!!

Always remember once you Format, ALL Data is lost.

Make sure you save what Data you need to somewhere else. Whether it be, CD, DVD, another HDD set up as a Slave Drive, An external HDD or set it up as a Slave Drive on anotyher Computer and copy it over there.

:thumbsup:

#3 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

Looks like the d/ is your recovery (contains a reinstall of your OS). Google and see, but I suspect if you do you will be able to reboot, hit F? (see google for your make/model) and you can restore your computer to the day it was shipped to the store.
I think reformatting may be automatic, or presented as an option.. In any event, my computers were a little older and I had to reformat via the XP cd, and reinstall from the cd..
Others may chime in who have worked directly with the restore partition (I think thats your d/)
Is there a reason you want a full reformat?

Edited by rosiesdad, 25 December 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

The D drive is the recovery partition.

Read this from HP Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP which will explain the process for reinstalling Windows.

Your choice on which method to use to access the partition.

Also, somewhere in HP tools or however it's listed in your Start menu there should be an option to make a set of recovery cd's. I strongly advise that you do this. If for some reason your computer crashes to the point where you cannot access Recovery, you can use the cd's to re-install. Just make sure you label the cd's (1, 2, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users