Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery life drains quickly!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ash98

Ash98

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

Hey everyone,

I have Windows XP SP2 on an Acer Aspire One A110, 512MB Ram 8GB SSD, Intel Atom, 1.6GHZ Processor, 3-cell battery blah blah...

We'll i used to have 2:47 battery life etc. I have a USB Mouse but the USB is only an adapter not one of those massive hub things... I've decresed my brightness to it's darkest, muted my speakers, cut down on as most apps as possible (Firefox and MSN and ManyCam only running.) I've also applied that hotfix which was supposed to help, but no luck. When i run on battery I get 1:26...MASSIVE difference. I don't think its the battery as I put my brothers battery in and he gets 2:30 on his battery but when it was on my laptop it went to 1:57 :thumbsup: Don't know what to do...I don't have an anti-virus EITHER because i was so mad on getting my battery life back up.

Thanks

-Ash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

Most likely your battery might not bre charging fully due to the A/C adaptor plug may be loose and or the connection on your board is loose (common problem with laptops). Another thought is that over a period of time laptop batteries get weaker due to their nature. It may be best to take your computer to the shop and let an expert technician look into this. Really doesn't cost an awful lot...If you are handy you may be able to check this out yourself but sometimes laptop cases are a little difficult to open (without damaging)...I know from experience (cracked my Sony Vaio case when trying to attempt fixing the very same issue)...

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 25 December 2009 - 12:34 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

I would think its most likely a hardware issue as, you've pointed out changing the battery has no effect, so it most definitely is a connection issue.

However like OldGrumpyBastard (you dont mind me calling you that lol) said "might not bre charging fully due to the A/C adaptor plug" did you charge the battery fully b4 placing it in your laptop.

#4 nsikis

nsikis

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

Lapotop computer battery life needs some care procedure to get the most from a single charge. If your battery drops down easily it may indicate that you are using a power plan which drains quick the battery, for example using "high performance" power plan will increase the functionality of your laptop computer but your laptop battery will be discharging at a high rate. Also ensure that when using the laptop computer reduce the brightness because this drains the battery quick too. Take caution of overcharging the battery because it is dangerous. If problem persist think of changing the battery

Edited by nsikis, 25 December 2009 - 03:13 PM.

#5 nsikis

nsikis

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

Replace the battery

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

Can you charge your brothers batteries with your charger. That would let you know if your charger and connections are working properly.

#7 Ash98

Ash98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:40 PM

But the light is on in the top left and windows says its charging...

#8 Ash98

Ash98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

It also goes on AC Power when its full charged

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

Don't believe every light you see. It tells you it's charging but not how much. If you can charge you brothers battery with no problems and the batteries work well in his computer you charger and the connection are working as they should.

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:25 AM

It also goes on AC Power when its full charged

If this is true, (that is what my old Sony was doing) that leads me to believe that you either have a loose A/C connector or it is loose on the board...Also the A/C power pack that recharges the battery may not be working properly even though the light is on (lights are on but nobodys home)...Does your battery fully charge on your brothers computer and run on battery on his? You may have already stated this...but just for the record...

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 26 December 2009 - 09:27 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users