Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Sector Virus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy_mofo213

Crazy_mofo213

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

My computer is currently infected with a boot sector virus which is preventing me from booting up my computer. When I try to boot it up I`m met with the 0x0000007B error message which states I`m infected.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:23 PM

According to MS Articles troubleshooting for "Stop 0x0000007B" errors and "STOP 0x0000007B" error message when you restart Windows, you may or may not be dealing with a boot sector virus.

Can you boot into "safe mode"? If so, then try some of the troubleshooting suggestions provided.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Crazy_mofo213

Crazy_mofo213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

No, I am not able to boot into safe mode.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

If you cannot bootup or logon in normal or safe mode, then your options are limited.

You can fix the Master Boot Record with the Windows XP Recovery Console.
  • Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive and restart the computer.
  • Watch for "Press any key to boot from CD" and then press any key to force the computer to boot from the Windows CD. If you do not press a key, the computer will continue to boot up normally. If that happens, try to boot to the Windows XP CD again.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will load and ask which Windows installation would you like to log onto.
  • In most cases, you will enter 1 (which will be the only choice). Note: If you press Enter without typing a number, Recovery Console will quit and restart your computer.
  • If prompted, type in your Administrator password and press Enter. If there is no password, leave it blank and just press enter.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type: fixmbr and then verify that you want to proceed.
  • When finished, remove the XP CD, type exit and press enter to restart the computer.
Vista users can refer to How to fix MBR in Windows XP and Vista <-includes screenshots for both Vista and XP

If you don't have your XP CD you can download an ISO of the Recovery Console files:Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD which will startup the Recovery Console for troubleshooting and fixing purposes. This is especially useful for those with OEM systems with factory restore partitions or disks but no original installation CD. If you are not sure how to burn an image, please refer to How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO and Creating A Windows XP Recovery Console CD Image.

If you're not dealing with a MBR infection, then use the Recovery Console and do a Repair Install. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. If the CD is not first in the boot order, the computer will attempt to start normally by booting from the hard drive.

When doing a reinsatall using an original XP CD, you should not lose all your data. However, you may lose data that is stored in the All Users folder and default program templates and settings that are stored in the Default User folder after you reinstall, repair, or upgrade Windows XP. See You May Lose Data or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP.

If you need additional assistance with using the Recovery Console, you can start a new topic in the appropriate Windows Operating System Subforum.

#5 Crazy_mofo213

Crazy_mofo213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

Well I tried the "fixmbr" command, but now when I try to log on normally I am stopped by the 0x00000024 error message. However when I try logging on into safe mode the error is 0x0000007B.

I also don't have a copy of a Windows XP CD unfortunately.

Edited by Crazy_mofo213, 26 December 2009 - 01:50 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

STOP 0x00000024, 0X0000024, 0X24, NTFS_FILE_SYS Error Code

This stop error means that your ntfs file system is corrupt (damage in the file system, bad hard drive data, corrupt SCSI or IDE drivers or a corrupt ntfs.sys file).

#7 Crazy_mofo213

Crazy_mofo213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

For the NTFS4DOS program, is a CD fine to burn it on or do I "need" a floppy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users