Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 masterblaster201

masterblaster201

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:03 AM

Merry Christmas!
I purchased a new Dell Studio for my wife, it came with Vista (Yuk) I would like to load Win 7 Ultimate on it. My question is should I load an OEM version vs. Upgrade version? I would like to erase Vista completely before I load 7, any suggestions?

Thank You!

(Moderator edit: expanded Topic Description. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 26 December 2009 - 10:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:14 AM

legally you can only upgrade from Vista Ult. to Windows7 Ult. Check out this article by Ed Bott at;what Microsoft won't tell you about windows7 licensing

#3 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

You can purchase Windows 7 Pro OEM for around $140USD, however, you may need to be a "System Builder" and use the OPK during installation and sell this machine to an unrelated 3rd party to qualify. *phew*

http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpag...x?pageid=563841

If your Dell Studio is quite new you may qualify for an upgrade to Windows 7 at little or no cost. Refer to the Dell website to see if you qualify.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:57 PM

Doing the upgrade is fine. Vista will only be a distant memory. The upgrade is painless. You should qualify for a free upgrade (version to same version, ultimate to ultimate for example).

If not and you're willing to shell it out, buying the full version separately is also okay. Doing an upgrade is still possible instead of a clean install (version to same version), but if you want to obliterate Vista first, then clean install 7, you can. :huh:

Going from a lower version Vista to 7 Ultimate will likely require a clean install.

Check here for full details.

Enjoy Windows 7!!
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 windows.user

windows.user

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

I did an upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Home Premium then purchased upgrade for win 7 to the Ultimate version.

I did not do a clean install due to needing all the software settings ported but this worked well the way I did it. Clean install method it depends on your computer manufacturer if they provide a free upgrade to Win 7 and then it may only be possible to do a live upgrade without clean install. I have a HP laptop and I was not allowed to do a clean install though I didn't want to anyway. You may need to purchase the stand alone version of Win 7 and make sure that you get all the drivers for your computers hardware or you may have troubles. My laptop needed to do a BIOS upgrade as well but HP made that very simple process, I didn't have to manually upgrade it myself, their software did it for me.

Other BIOS upgrades I did, I had to put it on a disk or usb flash drive and upgrade bios outside of operating system, that was while ago and on a different computer I no longer have.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, there's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. You can do it that way (version to version, then buy the version upgrade).

In my opinion, there isn't much point in getting the Ultimate anyway. It doesn't have much more than the Pro or Home Premium. But, whatever cranks your tractor....

Let us know what you do, masterblaster201. :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 27 December 2009 - 06:00 PM.
Removed recommendation to bypass security measures.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users