Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

product key

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Megaman1

Megaman1

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:57 AM

Hi,

Can any XP PRO COA sticker be used with any XP PRO CD???

The more detailed answer the better.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

NO,
there are all kinds of cd's.
What brand of computer do you have, and tell us about the cd.
(For instance, a Dell xp cd will only work on a Dell computer) same for HP etc.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

:flowers:

This is really a very Grey Area.

As you are an Aussie, I can pass on an experience I had with a Computer sold to me by a Government Agency. The Computer came with Windows XP Pro fitted and all the Disks with it, but also had a Sticker for Windows 2000, with an Access Code. Checking out, I am legally allowed to install Windows 2000 onto that machine, but only in Australia, to my knowledge.

You can use a Valid Number with a Windows Install Disk, Windows control it, not HP, Dell or anyone else.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 25 December 2009 - 12:40 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

<<You can use a Valid Number with a Windows Install Disk, Windows control it, not HP, Dell or anyone else.>>

Well...I'll put it this way.

a. Install/recovery/restore CDs issued by a boxmaker (Dell, Gateway, eMachines, et alia) are NOT to be construed as a Microsoft Genuine XP CD. Those respective vendors are responsible for providing instruction on how to use such disks and what the limitations are.

b. Any directives that you see which mention "XP CD" or similar...and which are not from a boxmaker...are instructions for using a MS Genuine CD.

c. A person with a system from a boxmaker (Toshiba, et alia) can use the same version (XP Home or XP Pro or XP MCE) MS Genuine XP CD to do either a repair install or clean install...but that person must use the key which belongs to that system. No such key is authorized to install XP on a different system, other than the one made by the boxmaker.

d. A system which has been put together by the user/anyone and on which a separately purchased copy of MS Genuine XP was then installed by the user...can use any MS Genuine XP CD (same version) to do a repair install or clean install. Again, the license for that system...must be used with the disk used.

There are a few quirks regarding the use of MS Genuine XP CDs...but that's the gist of what was asked, IMO.

If you want a simple clarification...it's easy to call the Microsoft reps administering PA or visit the Microsoft website for info.

Louis

#5 Megaman1

Megaman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:34 AM

Hi,

lets say I bought a Computer and the OS had Major problems (bad sectors, viruses etc.) so I decided to do a clean install of Windows XP Pro retail but I lost my XP CD, now......,The question is.....,
can I borrow my mates XP Pro Retail CD and install it onto my Computer using the COA Sticker on my Computer?

Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:50 AM

Answer is...yes.

It's the key/license which is the valuable material...not the CD itself. If the CD itself were valuable...users would never be able to update by creating slipstreamed XP CDs.

A CD is just a convenient way of providing files, it's the content of the CD which users really want. That content is useless without a valid key/license.

Louis

#7 Megaman1

Megaman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:22 AM

So if I repaired someone elses Computer which was using XP Pro Retail and I used my own XP Pro Retail CD to do a Clean Install on their Computer using the COA sticker on their Computer that would be 100% legal right???

I would not at all be breaching Microsofts terms and conditions right?

Thanks.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

Answer is...yes.

It's the key/license which is the valuable material...not the CD itself. If the CD itself were valuable...users would never be able to update by creating slipstreamed XP CDs.

A CD is just a convenient way of providing files, it's the content of the CD which users really want. That content is useless without a valid key/license.

Louis

You got it!!!
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users