Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 debbie68

debbie68

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

I have several questions for you. I'm not sure if it's ok to post them all in one topic or if I should post several topics but I'll try all in one first and if that's not ok I'm sure someone will let me know.

I recently got a computer from a friend because mine crashed. I downloaded antivirus, antispy, antimalware and firewall software, and started cleaning up the computer. The person who had it before had never done any maintenance and it had loads of viruses and malware. I started deleting software I didn't want. The first issue is with ZoneAlarm, the firewall software I downloaded. It disabled internet explorer, and at first I couldn't figure out how to reenable it, so I tried to uninstall ZoneAlarm. It refuses to be uninstalled. I figured out how to get Internet Explorer working again, but don't like any program on my computer that doesn't allow me to uninstall it.

So question #1
How do I uninstall ZoneAlarm?

Next, as I was uninstalling unwanted programs I tried to uninstall Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 since I'd loaded Office XP. It won't uninstall. I've tried to do it in CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller and it doesn't work.

question #2
How do I uninstall Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007

Windows seems very buggy on this computer, like maybe parts didn't get installed correctly. Of course I don't have the installation discs.

question #3
Is there a way to fix Windows without the installation disc?

When I ran the uninstall programs there were several programs listed in that I don't know if I need. I tried doing a search for a couple of them but never could find a direct answer on whether these programs need to be loaded on my computer or not so,

question #4
Do I need:
DXM_Runtime
ELIcon
InstallMgr
Microsoft.net
Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package
Microsoft Default Manager
Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack
Microsoft Office Converter Pack
Any of the Microsoft Office 2007 components
Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
Microsoft Search Enhancement pack
Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System
Or any of the other Security Updates for Office 2007
VC 9.0 Runtime
WebFldrs XP
Windows Presentation Foundation
WinRAR archiver

Lastly (for now) I did a windows update and it said it need to update the drivers for my graphics. It has now all of the sudden instead of 32 colors my only option is 8 colors and the place I would normally roll back the drivers is grayed out. The system restore has somehow deleted all of my restore points, so I can't do it that way.

Question #5
How do I fix this?
Have a wonderful day,

Debbie

"To live with integrity in an unjust society we must work for justice. To walk with integrity through a landscape strewn with beer cans, we must stop and pick them up." Starhawk, www.starhawk.org

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

It would be help full if we had you computer specs. I might be able to help on some of your problems. Are you using XP. Unplug from the internet.To remove Z/A, go to start/programs/Z/A there should be a uninstall listed. If that don't work try this. Start/Control Panel/ Add/Remove programs. Find Z/A and remove it from there. What you do or don't remove is up to you. Make sure you are in (NORMAL) mode. While in Add/Remove programs see if there are any more firewall or anti-virus programs there, any anti'spyware/malwareif so I would remove them. (LEAVE WINDOWS SECURITY ALONE). It can be used later as a starting place. If you have more than 1 active programs like Z/A they will cause all kinds of problems. If you get all these things removed make sure windows security is turned on you can use there security at this time. (Lower right had corner of task bar. I would not load any more programs until these problems are solved. Any windows office programs are very hard to remove. If this helps get back and we can work on the rest of the things. I will then give you some anti-spy ware and malware that lots of people here use and so on (JUST A REMINDER IF YOU GET ALL THAT REMOVED MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WINDOWS SECURITY TURNED ON BEFORE GOING ON THE NET)

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

Uninstall Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

ZoneAlarm is an excellent program and you should be able to uninstall it using add/remove programs unless the installation is corrupt, but it, like most security programs, leave stuff behind and ZoneAlarm, like most other security programs, generally requires the use of their removal tool to fully uninstall it. Try using the link below to get the link for the removal program that was posted in a previous post in this forum. The link you need is in the third post from the bottom of the page....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...hp/t201931.html

I had to link to a previous post because I have been having trouble making the direct link work here, lets see if this one will work....

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/sup.../cpes_clean.exe

Yes, that worked. The easiest way to get the removal tool will be to click on the last link here but I will leave the first one just in case

Edited by Stang777, 25 December 2009 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users