Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix & ashampoo Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snofte

snofte

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

Starting Combofix, it displays that "Ashampoo Antivirus" is detected and enabled. Advises that it should be
disabled before proceed. Dare not go further then.
But I do not have any Ashampoo Antivirus, all Ashampoo-program were uninstalled long time ago.
Explorer finds no folders with Ashampoo. A search via Regedit for "Ashampoo" and "Antivirus" gives no hits.
Add/remove programs via controlpanel finds no Ashampoo programs.
How to get rid of the Ashampoo thing ??

Regards
Snofte

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:44 AM

Worth reading remarks by BC personnel, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1159014.

Louis

#3 snofte

snofte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

Yes, understand the caution. Have not run Combofix further than the initial warning, will not run it.
But, I would very much like to get rid of some hidden "Ashampoo antivirus" residing in my win xp.
Any recommended tool for fixing this ?

regards
Snofte

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

Hello,

I'm assuming you have an infection given your mention of Combofix. Therefore, I am moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum for you.

Please describe the computer issues you are experiencing that led you to want to try to run Combofix.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 snofte

snofte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:41 AM

Ok, first my pc startet to be sluggish.
So I searched entire hdd with updated Norman AV, nothing found.
Ran Spytbot Search & Destroy, nothing found. (only minor things, removal of this did not help)
Ran Ad-aware from lavasoft, nothing found ( ------------------------------"---------------)
Got advise to obtain malwarebytes and combofix.
Ran malwarebytes, found trojan downloader and 4 other trojans !!!
Tried to run combofix, but got the initial warning that "ashampoo Antivirus" was active scanning and should
be disabled before proceeding.
And now my pc was fine again, no more sluggish !! malwarebytes must have done the job !

But I still want to get rid of the "ashampoo antivirus".
Was uninstalled long time ago.
Nothing to be found via search regedit for "ashampoo"
Nothing found via explorer-search for files/folders

Any recommended tool to get rid of this "orphaned" ashampoo ??

regards
snofte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users