Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG vs AVast Home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Beth1

Beth1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

I have both on my computer, is that ok? If not, which one is better?

Thanks,
Beth

Also, I have the Spybot running and Malwarebytes, do any or all conflict?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

Best practices advises that you have only ONE Anti-virus providing real- time protection, since running both at the same time causes application conflicts, and can reduce computer speed. Since both give adequate protection (although there is constant discussion about which is "better" and different tests yield different results and this forum has all sorts of different opinions about their relative merits), the real choice is more about which seems easier for you in practical use.

I personally prefer Avira to either, and have several anti-spyware applications that I keep updated and run on demand.

Edited by jgweed, 25 December 2009 - 10:17 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 moserw

moserw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

I've been previewing and using Avast 5 which is still in beta, but its performance is exceptionally good.

#4 Beth1

Beth1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the answers, can you name a couple of the anti spyware applications you are using?

I have the malwarebytes and superantispyware on my deskstop, are those good anti spyware to have on there?

Thanks,
beth

#5 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:38 PM

Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are considered to be some of the best antispywares.

For more comprehensive advise you could also check out the security recommendations here.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

I've been previewing and using Avast 5 which is still in beta, but its performance is exceptionally good.

Agreed :thumbsup: I switched to it a few days ago from Avira because I was tired of the long updates >_>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users