Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"The disk in drive d is not formatted" message

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kacca

kacca

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

Hi again everybody :flowers: I have a problem that I really really need help with - I cannot access the partition that contains all my work.

This happened out of the blue:

I turned on my computer, browsed the web via Google Chrome for a while (facebook) and then I decided that it's time to start working (I translate for a living). Then, when I tried to open my D partition (the one with all my data, I have another partition for system) a message popped up saying that drive d cannot be formatted, offering me to format it now, which I refused from obvious reasons.
Also, my computer is really slow (as of the moment I turned it on today). When I try to open D partition it takes about half a minute for that message to appear. Everything else is slow as well.
What I have noticed a few days ago is that my icons in both partitions (all folder, subfolder and file icons) suddenly became ordered according to type of file, which I never chose.
Now, I have tried the following:
- system restore - says that drive D cannot be restored because drive D is excluded or something
- ran a program called find and mount - it found my D partition but could not mount it
- opened computer management, which shows my D partition and says it's healthy

I am about to start AV scan (though I only have AVG free); I just wanted to write this message first because I urgently need help and I hope someone knows something about this situation.

System:
MS Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
Intel® Celeron® M
processor 1.60GHz
1.61 GHz 448MB of RAM

Thank you all in advance :thumbsup:

Edited by kacca, 25 December 2009 - 09:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Sounds like a file system or hard drive problem. Best bet would be to try some free data recovery program.

Data recovery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery

Some possible attempted solutions at http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm.

I have not used any of the products listed...but I have used other products from developers of the first two.

There are other options available, but I see no point in overwhelming you with possible choices.

Should you decide to use a data reovery program, please read all instructions for said product.

Louis

#3 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

Here's another, Recuva

You need to back up important data, meaning a working copy on C: and backup on D: or removable drive.

Backing up: What, how, where

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:16 PM

:flowers:

Sounds like a Virus.

Fix that first.

Failing that, firstly insert the Windows Install Disk and see what it says about the D: Partition? If it is showing up and you have no Data to lose on C: Drive, just remove C: Partition, re-Partition where C: Partition was and reinstall Windows there, Windows will Format the C: Partition first. That should give you back what you need, as long as Windows can see D: Partition at first?

:thumbsup:

#5 kacca

kacca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:44 PM

First of all, thanks everybody!!!
I ran the virus scan with AVG free and as I expected it found nothing (though I'm not sure it scanned the D partition because I wasn't present during the whole scan :trumpet:). I installed AVG free a few months ago when Nod32 started creating too many problems and if you can believe it, AVG never detected a single virus. From time to time I run some anti-spyware and it finds a lot of stuff and cleans it. So, I don't know if AVG can actually be called antivirus software. I had had AVG professional as well and it was the same. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to write this stuff here. I'm sorry, I'm just mad or crazy :flowers:

And I know I should have backed up my data, which I will always do in the future... I just thought that this stuff would never happen to me.

Anyway, I installed Recuva and it shows all my files, some of them recoverable, some not... Now I'm just trying to figure out where to recover 27 GB of data. I don't have any more space on C partition, and anyway its size is only 10 GB. The network with the other computer is not working for some reason, but that's another story...
I'll let you know about my progress with this... :thumbsup:

Edited by kacca, 25 December 2009 - 02:47 PM.

#6 nsikis

nsikis

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

it reall a spyware attack, so try reinstalling the operating system

#7 nsikis

nsikis

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:24 PM

It really a spyware attack, so try reinstalling the operating system.

Edited by nsikis, 25 December 2009 - 03:25 PM.

#8 kacca

kacca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:31 PM

I tried to recover with Recova and failed - the files were either overwritten or impossible to recover or recoverable until I do recover them and then cannot open them. So, I lost my data... I was so lucky this time - I wasn't in the middle (or near the end, which would be worse) of a large project... Then I would have to have a professional recover my data. Fortunately, I just began a rather small project and did only a small portion which equals a few hours of work. I have all the files necessary to start the project again in my outlook, luckily.
Anyway, this was a long day - attempts to recover data, formatting partition C only to find out that the situation with D remained the same, ran Windows installation from scratch and installed all other software... I reverted back to Nod. At least I never lost my data with it :thumbsup:
It was so stupid of me not backing up data. From now on, I'll copy everything to another computer and online to Adrive probably. I guess it will be enough. What do you think?

Thanks again for being willing to help!!!

#9 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

I have used GetDataBack at work. The trial version is supposed to show the files the paid version will be able to recover. As long as the drive isn't making any noise it, should recover the files.

As to the backup, I use an External Hard Drive for pictures Tax Docs and such.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:39 PM

I also use GetDataBack (NTFS), with success for recovery efforts of data where eiher the file system or the drive itself has problems which prevent normal access.

IME, this is normally the cue to discontinue use of that hard drive (after data recovery efforts).

Louis

#11 kacca

kacca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

I also use GetDataBack (NTFS), with success for recovery efforts of data where eiher the file system or the drive itself has problems which prevent normal access.

IME, this is normally the cue to discontinue use of that hard drive (after data recovery efforts).

Louis

I did not quite get your point. Do you mean that after using recovery programs one must get a new hard drive, or that getting the 'disk is not formatted' message on its own requires disk replacement. To put it simple, should I replace the hard drive given my situation and circumstances? Please tell me what you think.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

I simply meant...after recoverying my data, I would probably discontinue use of that hard drive.

Although the drive itself may not necessarily be bad (you can run the correct hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic to confirm drive status), I would not be convinced that NTFS (if corrupted) did not have an assist from the drive itself.

Any number of things may be cited as the "cause" for Windows' inability to properly read/recognize a drive which formerly worked well...but I tend to think that the hard drive itself may be the ultimate cause of some of those other things.

Which is why I would run the manufacturer's diagnostic on it before writing it off. The HD manufacturer's diagnostic is what I consider to be "the final word."

Louis

#13 kacca

kacca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:13 AM

I want to ask hopefully the last question concerning my current computer. I did not want to open a new topic because of this one question.
So, for the last 2 months, I've been having serious problems with my computer. Some of them are mentioned in this post - error 'disk d is not formatted' when I lost all my data. The last one happened yesterday - I worked all day and then I wanted to upload the MS Word rich text format file to an online storage location but the file suddenly couldn't be opened nor copied. I had to use the Word recovery feature but I now have a lot of corrections to make.

Now, since I'm definitely sick of repairing the issues, do you think that this computer should simply be disposed of :thumbsup:. Given that its configuration is weak and that it definitely doesn't meet my needs, I was thinking of getting a new computer. To paraphrase, my question would be: Is it at all worth replacing the hard drive? Is it going to make a difference? If not, then I'll buy a new computer.

Thanks!

#14 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:56 AM

"Computer:
Intel® Celeron® M
processor 1.60GHz
1.61 GHz 448MB of RAM"

A new hard drive may indeed solve some of your issues (many are reasonably priced) but in all reality, since you are using this system to make your living, I would suggest that you can probably purchase a new system with Windows 7 and be trouble-free for years to come. New computers are even more reasonably priced. Your system processor and the amount of RAM (are IMHO outdated and insufficient for many power hungry programs to run smoothly) would really need to be upgraded to increase any performance along with a new drive....That being said...You would be better off just buying a new computer (probably the best bet in your situation).

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 09 January 2010 - 07:57 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#15 kacca

kacca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:11 AM

"Computer:
Intel® Celeron® M
processor 1.60GHz
1.61 GHz 448MB of RAM"

A new hard drive may indeed solve some of your issues (many are reasonably priced) but in all reality, since you are using this system to make your living, I would suggest that you can probably purchase a new system with Windows 7 and be trouble-free for years to come. New computers are even more reasonably priced. Your system processor and the amount of RAM (are IMHO outdated and insufficient for many power hungry programs to run smoothly) would really need to be upgraded to increase any performance along with a new drive....That being said...You would be better off just buying a new computer (probably the best bet in your situation).

Thanks a lot! That's what I thought. It really is an old computer and updating its components would be more expensive than buying a new one.
So, Windows 7 is more reliable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users