Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Home Green Screen with Lines

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Erica56

Erica56

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

I really appreciate this site's existence and all the hard work that goes into answering fellow members questions and will do my best to give a detailed description of what's going on with my computer. Just within the past few days I've turned on my monitor to find the screen filled with green lines. I've never had this issue before so I tried checking the connection between the monitor and the computer, unplugged and plugged everything back in but everything was fine, so it's something to do with the computer itself. I usually leave my computer running since it used to go into hibernation mode by itself and simply turned the monitor off instead of shutting down, but lately I've also noticed the computer isn't going into hibernation mode at all and instead is left running normally until I next use it. The lines don't go away until the computer is rebooted, sometimes it takes two or three times, and they affect everything from my background to Mozilla, i.e. everything on screen has the lines running through it. I'm worried that this might be a virus since I have had BitDefender block a few Trojans within the last couple of months, but after running Defender and Avast, my hard drive seems to be completely void of any viruses accord to the reports. I have my Firewall on at all times and am using Windows Vista Home. I really appreciate any help anyone can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:07 AM

Have you tried plugging another monitor into to see if this resolves the issue? Sometimes these symptoms your mentioning might be a monitor about to die on you?? If you see green lines then that indicates the RED might be going out on the monitor. I would see if you can't borrow a monitor to see if it is the monitor itself!!! Unfortunately this is more a Hardware issue than software.

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#3 Erica56

Erica56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:16 AM

Thank you very much for the quick response, I appreciate it! The monitor is fairly new, just within the past couple of months so I can't see that it would be dying on me already, at least I hope not. =S When I turn the computer into sleep mode manually, the lines go away when I start it up again and the screen returns to normal. The lines only seem to appear when I turn the screen off by itself, not the computer and screen both, and the computer is left running for some time. However, if I leave the computer running and don't turn the screen off, they never appear. I'm scared to do this though since it might wreck the screen if I leave it on permanently. So the screen seems to work fine unless that happens, which would be odd if it was dying? I'm not sure. :huh:

Edited by Erica56, 27 December 2009 - 06:19 AM.

#4 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

Thank you very much for the quick response, I appreciate it! The monitor is fairly new, just within the past couple of months so I can't see that it would be dying on me already, at least I hope not. =S When I turn the computer into sleep mode manually, the lines go away when I start it up again and the screen returns to normal. The lines only seem to appear when I turn the screen off by itself, not the computer and screen both, and the computer is left running for some time. However, if I leave the computer running and don't turn the screen off, they never appear. I'm scared to do this though since it might wreck the screen if I leave it on permanently. So the screen seems to work fine unless that happens, which would be odd if it was dying? I'm not sure. :huh:

It could be some part of the monitor that can't handle being re-initalized and when you turn you monitor back on while the system is still, would cause the monitor to produce those lines. I would have to say the more I hear about it the more I am convinced that the monitor might be the culprit. However it could be something to do with Graphics card. The only way to find out for sure is to plug another monitor into the system and see what happens!!

Edited by GamerX, 27 December 2009 - 09:46 AM.

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#5 Erica56

Erica56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:07 PM

Thank you very much :huh: I'll definitely give that a try. If this is the case, is there anyway to fix the issue so that it no longer does this when being re-initialized? Or is it time to get a new monitor? Thanks again for all the help.

Edited by Erica56, 28 December 2009 - 03:09 PM.

#6 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

Thank you very much :huh: I'll definitely give that a try. If this is the case, is there anyway to fix the issue so that it no longer does this when being re-initialized? Or is it time to get a new monitor? Thanks again for all the help.

I'd have to say probably would be a good time to get a new monitor, if that is the case!!

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users