Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Christmas Networking

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:22 AM

Morning Guys, I need to connect my main rig to a new rig in the next room. I have Stelera wireless router wired to my main rig and I want to network using the D-Link adapter, I have the disk, but when I try to connect it won't work. Are the two incompatable?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:38 AM

What is the model # of the D-Link adapter? Did Stelera give you the adapter as part of the wireless service?

Are try to install the adapter on a PC or Laptop. Make and model #?

#3 Stelera

Stelera

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

Good afternoon. The Dlink adapter should work fine. Make sure you are using the WEP key on the back of the Stelera Router to connect.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

Are you using the software that came with the Dlink? I'd recommend using the Windows Zero Config, then you should see the SSID of the Stelera router and you connect. If there is security setup then you'll need to enter that info into the connection.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:43 AM

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go and get back with you on the results. The model is D-Link WUA-2340 ver. 1.0 The wep key, I completely forgot. Thanks.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#6 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

Drivers won't load!! I need Vista drivers, oh what twists and turns. At least my router cable will reach the other computer.

#7 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

AudioAL,

I found Vista Drivers for your D-Link WUA-2340.
The bottom file;
10/07/2008 12:00AM 11,249,922 wua2340_drivers_150.zip

They are in a ZIP file and you will need to extract themto yur desktop. Then I would create a new folder C:\DLink and copy the Vista 32 or 64 folder to it. That way you won't delete them accidently. Then point the new hardware wizard to that folder and it shoud install.

You need to find out what kind of router Stelera provided and look into WPA2. Sorry, but I am big on wireles security and WEP does not cut it.

Edited by ratchet48, 26 December 2009 - 08:46 PM.

#8 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:07 AM

AudioAL,

The bottom file;

They are in a ZIP file and you will need to extract themto yur desktop. Then I would create a new folder C:\DLink and copy the Vista 32 or 64 folder to it. That way you won't delete them accidently. Then point the new hardware wizard to that folder and it shoud install.

You need to find out what kind of router Stelera provided and look into WPA2. Sorry, but I am big on wireles security and WEP does not cut it.

Thanks Rachet48, The router is a Model 100 by BandRich. BandLuxe R 100,it's a 3.5G HSPA WiFi router. I got the http and the mac address as well as the serial no. Now I will hard wire the router to the new computer, download Camunzip, then the driver for Vista wireless adapter, install and, unwire the Stelera back to my main rig and see if I can get it up wirelessly. I understand about the WEP key being inferior or non-compliant security wise, thanks. I'll report back asap. Thanks again!

#9 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:43 AM

AudioAL,

The bottom file;

I got her up and running, these Wi-Fi routers are easier to setup than say D-Link or Lynksys. Or maybe I have a better understanding of networking? I don't know how to change the wep key to WPA?

#10 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:31 AM

Cool :thumbsup:

Have a look at the R100 screen shot.

From a hacking website;

“The only time you can crack the pre-shared key is if it is a dictionary word or relatively short in length. Conversely, if you want to have an unbreakable wireless network at home, use WPA/WPA2 and a 63 character password composed of random characters including special symbols. “

You don't have to use 63 characters but I use Upper amd Lower Case letters, numbers and special characters, IE @#$.

Same with your router password.

You can use a Password Generator. 8 to 14 characters should suffice.

Keep them in a safe place :flowers:

I also change and disable broadcast of your Security Set Identifier (SSID).

Good explanation of Wireless Security.

Edited by ratchet48, 28 December 2009 - 08:53 AM.

#11 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

Cool :thumbsup:

Have a look at the R100 screen shot.

From a hacking website;

“The only time you can crack the pre-shared key is if it is a dictionary word or relatively short in length. Conversely, if you want to have an unbreakable wireless network at home, use WPA/WPA2 and a 63 character password composed of random characters including special symbols. “

You don't have to use 63 characters but I use Upper amd Lower Case letters, numbers and special characters, IE @#$.

Same with your router password.

You can use a Password Generator. 8 to 14 characters should suffice.

Keep them in a safe place :flowers:

I also change and disable broadcast of your Security Set Identifier (SSID).

Good explanation of Wireless Security.

Your pretty good with this networking, thanks Rachet48, I'll study the WPA and go thru those changes at least the Disable SSID. Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users