Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB suddenly stopped working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thefragbot

thefragbot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:18 AM

Good morning everyone, and a Merry Christmas!

I'm going to try to make this as brief as possible, while still including every detail I possibly can.

Today I received a few cool gadgets for Christmas that I wanted to install on my PC. I realized I was short on USB slots, so I tried to install a secondary set of USB slots. I plugged it in wrong twice in a row, due to me misreading my motherboard. After a few restarts, my computer wouldn't boot. I attempted to clear my CMOS, which didn't help. I then turned off my power supply's switch, then turned it back on. After I did this my PC booted, but I was fronted with a boot screen that said the CMOS settings were wrong. I was confused as to what this meant, and my options were F1 to Bios, or F2 to default settings and continue. After booting, my Razer Deathadder quit working. Now, at this point, I'm not sure why exactly I did this, but I reinstalled Windows. I am using Windows XP Pro -32 bit. After reinstalling all my drivers, I realized that NONE of my USB ports were working. My keyboard, mouse, webcam, nothing worked. I updated my Windows, BIOS, drivers, everything is new.

In the screen for Hardware, all my Root USB kits have exclamation points, and it says they aren't functioning properly. I have NO idea what the hell is going on, and if anyone has any ideas or comments, please please share them with me.

I'm thinking that when I reset the CMOS perhaps something malfunctioned on my mainboard and now I'm left with flawed USB ports? Perhaps I'm completely wrong. I really hope I don't have to buy any new hardware or a new computer all together, money is extremely tight. Please, post if you have any helpful information.... THANKS!

Sincerely,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:13 AM

if you dont have service pack 2 install it then reinstall the usb drivers that come with sp2

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:41 AM

Root USB hubs are the devices/ports...what you want to is (using Device Manager)...uninstall your USB Controllers (all of them) and then reboot XP.

If that doesn't do it, then you probably need to properly install a PCI USB 2.0 card.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users