Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help to do a clean install of XP on AcerSA85

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 metalmaiden

metalmaiden

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:30 AM

I've been trying all day to format the hard drive of this computer.

The computer is extremely slow. It's had viruses, been into the shop to be fixed, came out still infected. I received help online to get it clean, but it's still extremely slow. I think there may still be something wrong. I've spent way too long stuffing around with it, I just want to format and do a clean install.

The computer came with XP installed. It also came with 6 disks. The first one says Bootable, the others say Windows XP. I've tried restarting the computer with the bootable disk. I left it running as instructed from other posts I've read. It started up as normal. I then restarted and pressed F12 to get it to boot from the disk. I can only get an acer screen with restore factory settings. Went through all that, putting all 6 disks in as instructed. Restarted computer and everything is still the same. All my files, pictures, etc are still there.

Then I tried the 6 backup disks we made when we started the computer up for the first time. Same thing happened, only the screens were different.

Do I need to make a different boot disk and skip the Acer one?

Any suggestions would be great.
Thankyou :thumbsup:

And yes I don't have a life...I've spent my entire Christmas day on this!!! lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:28 AM

Go into the bios and set the boot sequence so the CD is first to boot.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:26 PM

:flowers:

When you say 6 Disks? Are they CD's or Floppy?

If Floppy you need to set the BIOS to Boot from A: Drive, Mate.

:thumbsup:

#4 metalmaiden

metalmaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:09 PM

Hi, Thanks for replying :thumbsup:

They're cds. There are 4 that came with the computer, and there are 6 backups that I made when we started the computer the first time.

I've been into bios and booted from the cd, but I can't get to any screen asking me to choose whether to delete anything.
The only screen I get is asking me if I'd like to restore to factory settings. I did that, (twice), but that's not what I want. I tried escaping from the screen and the computer started up as normal.

I'm wondering if I made up a new boot disk and not use the Acer one, would that help? I downloaded a startup disk, but I'm not sure if it's safe to use. And would I then be able to use the other disks that have xp on them. (The first disk says "Bootable AcerPowerS260 Aspire SA60 System CD" and the other 3 say "XP Home SP2 AcerPowerS260 Aspire SA60 Recovery CD")

I was also wondering if another option would be to install everything on to D: but again, I don't really know how to do that because I can't get it to go onto C:?

Thanks

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

Recovery:

http://www.acersupport.com/acerpanam/deskt...E360faq40.shtml

This document is from acer website model chosen was your model (S260) but in all reallity most recovery procedures are basically the same from the same manufacturer. The CD's that came with your system are recovery CD's...Much different than retail XP installation CD's...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 metalmaiden

metalmaiden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:06 PM

Thank you so much OldPhil, Abacus 7 and OldGrumpyBastard for replying to me.

My Dad fixed it.

It's running so much better. It was taking about 5 minutes to start up, and the computer was always busy clicking and doing things making it almost impossible to load programs or use the internet.

Now to keep it clean (by keeping one certain adolescent boy off it) :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users