Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I get files off an old Win95 laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adambrown

adambrown

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:34 AM

I have an old Toshiba Satelite Pro 440CDT running Windows 95 OSR2 (Pentium, 48MB RAM, 1.34GB HD). I would like to be able to get some files off it, however, I am having problems figuring out how to do it. The following are the options I considered:
LAN - this was the most logical, especially since I believe that is used to be connected to this network. I have a Netgear FA411 PCMCIA ethernet card inserted. It has power and the drivers are installed, however, Windows does not recognize that it is inserted, and in Control Panel-PCMCIA both slots are listed as empty.
USB flash drive - I tried several of these from different companies, however they don't work, I assume because Win95 doesn't have drivers for flash drives. Is there a version of Linux or UBCD that I could run on such an old laptop that has USB drivers?
External floppy drive - this plugs into what appears to be a proprietary port. Windows does not recognize that it is plugged in.
Removing the hard drive - I tried this too, and the screw holding the hard drive bay in place is too tight and it started stripping. I would rather not demolish the laptop in order to get the hard drive out.
Direct Cable Connection - If I remember correctly, this was a feature in Win95 that allowed you to connect directly to another computer over a serial or parallel cable. However, I don't know what to do on the computer on the other end; I would want to connect it to a WinXP computer.
HyperTerminal over the modem - Is it possible to send files through HyperTerminal over a direct phone wire from laptop to computer, or would I have to connect each one to a separate phone line and dial into the other?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.
Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:58 AM

:flowers:

Since you can't remove the HDD without wrecking it, you could try this? It is a Long shot, Mate, and will only work if the Main Computer CD/DVD is IDE, Not SATA. If it is SATA, use another one that is IDE.

Power down your Main Computer, remove the side and disconnect the wiring for CD/DVD Units attached. Turn it on it's side for ease. Keep your Longest Leads, IDE Cable and Power Cable to one side. Open up the Laptop after making sure it is totally shut down and connect the IDE Cable and the Power Cable to it. (You can sit the LapTop on top of the turned over Case to make the distance shorter.)

Power up the Main Computer and the HDD Drive from the LapTop should be listed as D: Drive. But actually a a Secondary Main Drive in the BIOS.

Take what Data you want off it and save it. (that is basically the way to go if you could get the HDD out of the LapTop, Mate.)

After that reconnect your CD/DVD Units.

BTW, MERRY CHRISTMAS.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 25 December 2009 - 12:06 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:36 PM

connect directly to another computer over a serial or parallel cable

Not a straight forward serial or parallel cable, but a Null serial or parallel cable
The internal wiring is different
The same goes for the LAN RJ45 connection
It is called a Null or Crossover cable
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 adambrown

adambrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

Thanx everyone for their help.
However:
Abacus 7: I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. My problem in getting out the hard drive was not that it will destroy the hard drive, but rather that I'll have to destroy the laptop in order to remove it. Additionally, I believe that laptop drives plug directly into the case and not into a cable, so without removing the drive how would I be able to connect it to the computer?

garmanma: I was intending to plug it into my router if I would be using LAN. Additionally, I still don't know what to do on the computer for DCC.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

A decent LiveCD (bootable) will definitely need more than 50MB of RAM for the graphical user interface.
You could give this one a try though.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:36 AM

Abacus 7: I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. My problem in getting out the hard drive was not that it will destroy the hard drive, but rather that I'll have to destroy the laptop in order to remove it. Additionally, I believe that laptop drives plug directly into the case and not into a cable, so without removing the drive how would I be able to connect it to the computer?

:flowers:

Sorry, Mate, I diddn't realise that you couldn't open your Laptop up.

#7 adambrown

adambrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

ReviverSoft: Thank you so much! I downloaded DSLinux like you suggested, and once I figured out how to use it, it worked like a charm! :flowers:

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:28 PM

Glad it helped.
They (linux live CDs) can be a life saver, when you need help.

Also check out Knoppix. Never hurts to have a bunch of LiveCDs lying around.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 31 December 2009 - 04:29 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users