Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Temp Internet Files

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 11:20 AM

I had no idea where to post this so I'm here.
I've had a problem with deleting what's been found before and it's the very same files again.

Here's the deal. I went to delete cookies under Temp Internet Files. A lot came up (around 11,000) so I clicked "Select All" and then "Delete". It deleted everything except those same 4 files. I don't know what www.lowrider.com is and have never been there. But that is what it shows when the cursor is on the main file. The second is a remnant of the first I believe and the other 2 are jpgs but clicking on them comes up nothing.
Anyway, having gone through this before (in a previous post but not meaning to confuse since that is old) I did what I did before to remove the files. I went into safe mode.
What came up was TOTALLY different than in regular mode. First, it was more than 4 files and they appeared different. So, therefore, I took 2 snapshots - one in regular mode and one in safe mode. I have since deleted it all (for now anyway) and ran all my programs, rebooting in between. Just thought this might interest someone or if nothing else, perhaps someone knows why this happened (the difference between safe and regular modes, and the files).

Now if someone can tell me that site to post images and such, I can go there, I forgot it.
Thanks

~67~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 11:55 AM

photobucket
imageshack
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:44 PM

Thank you very much, TG!

Here's the Regular Image:
http://img6.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img6&image=TempFilesReg.jpg

OR

Posted Image

And the Safe Mode Image:

Posted Image

OR

Posted Image

Let me know what you think,

~67~

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:16 PM

I think you did a great job posting your screenshots, ~67 :trumpet: In fact, I was going to post this last night send us a screenshot You "bumped up" my priority list today. :thumbsup:

As for the question, I'm goin' wait for an answer to it, myself. :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:50 PM

Hi '67

This question for my own edification...

I presume in regular mode you did have your system set to show all hidden files and folders, is that correct?

I just went through my temp files as you did in regular mode and safe mode - set to show all, and found no difference in the two.

Strange stuff...

I too now await an explanation.

~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 06:08 PM

I have an idea on how to figure out a few things about it. First, while your computer is on, remove your internet connection (either by turning off broadband modem or unplugging the line). Now, Windows may not like this, and will tell you that your internet connection has been dropped (it will pop-up, just in case you really didnt mean to do this on purpose). Go to the Temp folder, and delete it. If it does not want to delete, then highlight the file, and press the delete key on your keyboard. If this method does not delete it, then open up Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL), click the process tab, and re-size the window, so that you can see what is going on while you have the other folder open. From there, try to highlight and delete again, but watch the Task Manager, under Image name, for an application popping up when you do this. I will bet that it will NOT be either explore.exe or System. You may have to watch a portion of the Task Manager at a time, for you to see it come up. The Image Name is what is preventing you from deleting it. Similar to re-direct problems that are shown in HiJack This logs, there are programs even when you are offline, that do the same thing, when you try to delete them. If all of these methods fail to delete these files, then restart your computer, while STILL OFFLINE. You should be able to see the Image Name in this mode, and able to delete it then.

When you re-boot the computer, keep the internet off for now. Open the Temp folder again, but this time, you are going to see when those files come back. Minimize this folder, plug your internet back in, and see if the files come back. If they dont, then click your internet, but minimize it fast, and maximize your temporary internet folder. When it appears, then look at your internet window again and see what part it is at. It is possible those files may only appear when you access certain sites. Continue with this method until you find the one that is the culprit.

Another method you could do, is a search for pieces of that file. It is possible that you have cookies that are re-spawning this information as another file as a temp. Right-click the file, to select properties and click Web Document, and where it has URL, click anywhere in the box. Scroll all the way to the left, and copy some of it (as example the address w/o the http:// part). Click START-> search -> All files and folders -> paste the information in the search box. More then likely, it will come up with your initial find, but you may have even more files that it finds. Continue with the search, with small pieces of the Web Document from properties, to see if other files are associated.

Hope this helps.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:11 PM

Yes you did a great job with the screenshots it looks like were all learning stuff here at bc! I say this becuase... Let me tell you when I came here I didnt know how to post a screenshot now I can lol! Comes in handy too! I love image shack itsgreat for HJT!

#8 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2004 - 02:22 PM

Well fellas, I don't know if I am really gonna tackle this once and for all. I read Jason's reply (three times) but at 1am, it never sunk in so my brain juice is still on low even at 2pm today. Before I get started with his advice, let me say what I've done thus far.
I ran all my programs to see what they would find (again). Lately, I've had no luck whatsoever with Spybot S&D. Adaware only a few harmless cookies. But, Spysweeper found 4 items, 10 traces. I've seen this first one a few times but can't say whether or not it's a big concern.
Adware Found: CWS NS3 (7 traces)
Cookie Found: HowStuffWorks (1 trace)
Cookie Found: Atwola (1 trace)
Cookie Found: Pointroll (1 trace)

I do have CWShredder but since I always run Adaware first, then Spybot, then Spysweeper, CWShredder comes up clean. I don't know why I run them in that order though, :thumbsup: . I'm assuming CWShredder would pick up that CWS NS3 is what I'm getting at, lol.
I have checked my task manager and msconfig and those have nothing out of the ordinary. I only run regedit when I know what I'm looking for to have removed.
Anyway, because of a previous, yet recent, thread, Koan suggested I go to HowStuffWorks so I'm not leery of that at all. Atwola I have seen before but not sure where it comes from. Pointroll I've never seen before.
Whoever would like to spend a few minutes of their Sunday afternoon researching those or just advising me about one thing or another, please feel welcome. As always, I'm ever so grateful.
~67~

P.S. Thank you for the great praise on the screenshots! ~~BOWS~~

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2004 - 02:47 PM

Whoever would like to spend a few minutes of their Sunday afternoon researching those or just advising me about one thing or another, please feel welcome.

Funny you would say that. That was the process that I was taking...lol

Starting from the top:

-search?client=navclient-auto&ch=6352087255&features=Rank&q=info:http://www.lowrider.com/ is entered into my search engine, it finds nothing. From what very little I know about sites, the best I can tell you is that it looks like it is something to do with a search engine, and its results.

From the Safe Mode pic:

-shallowbay.HTML is entered in my search engine, then it comes up with about 9 hits. Each one of them is laden with many pop-ups.

The best advice that I can tell you is to submit a HiJack This log. When something in there is fixed, it should correct your problem.

#10 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2004 - 06:22 PM

Jason - I'm not sure who the angel is here now, me or you... :thumbsup:
I haven't had any popups lately (GOTTALOVEGOOGLE!) but that doesn't mean they aren't trying. I also had the same luck with that lowrider thing. I will post a HJT log into its proper place but I can't thank you enough.

Koan - Yes, mine is set to show all hidden files and folders. I checked to be sure.
When I read your reply, I thought "ah, that's why" but it's not the case. Good catch on that though. I hadn't thought of that.

~67~

#11 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2004 - 09:44 PM

I look forward to seeing your log, even if I do not respond to it...

#12 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:00 PM

I'm so sorry to be bothering y'all again with this. But last night, I deleted temporary internet files and those 4 things are still remaining. I get them removed by going into safe mode but since the HJT log didn't raise any flags, do we have any other ideas? Someone stated before about something lurking in my system but it has yet to reveal itself. Anyone wanting to offer help here would be great. I've made sure all my programs are up-to-date and most find nothing other than the usual cookie or CWS which is never found by CWShredder but rather in Spysweeper.
Please read this whole thread so no stone is left unchecked. I'm feeling awfully lazy this rainy Monday morning.

~67~

#13 somych

somych

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:43 PM

Hi, guys :thumbsup:
I`d like to thank you all who replyed to this topic.It really helped me.
Thats what I`ve done:
My Kaspersky didn`t found anything nasty, but when I`ve run Norton Antivirus just minute later, it found adware *.exe file in the temp folder. NA warned me, but didn`t give me option to delete it. I`ve tryed to delete the file without rebooting, but comp didnt allow me.Then I`ve started my search on Google and, lucky me :trumpet: ,found your posts (special thnx go to JEservices). I`ve opened up Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL), clicked the processes tab, found the culprit by name and ended process.Then deleting it was sweet easy. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users