Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Problems to do with freezing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Exhile

Exhile

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:15 AM

Hello, I have major problem with my computar.

It first started as a monitor problem. My computar stayed on standby alot even when i turned my computar on. And on the occasions that it did come on I got the message

"The host frequency setting is not working on your CPU. You must enter SETUP to reconfigure your system..."

So i went into BIOS and restored to default settings. And it didnt work. I had major problems with the monitor not coming out of standby and i tryed a different monitor and still had the same problem with standby.

Once I got my computer on and monitor too my computar turned off after 10-20 mins. Since then its not stayed on longer than 20 mins. So i formatted my harddrive twice and installed xp back, and it still had the same problem.

So after this i took my side panel of to circulate more air and that didnt work, i took out one of my 2 sticks of ram and started up my system and froze, so i put that one back in and changed my other stick and started up and it froze aswell. etc etc.

I even resetted my BIOS by taking the circle battery out of the motherboard and putting it back in. That still didnt work.

Im stuck on what to do i really am. I rally dont know what to do anymore.

I run Windows XP Home With Service Pack 2.

Any responce on what to do will be greatly greatly appreachiated --- Exhile

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:36 AM

Hi when it is going to close down do you get any warning.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Exhile

Exhile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:59 AM

Nope, No warning at all. It just freezes completely or rarely it reboots.

Edited by Exhile, 17 August 2005 - 05:34 PM.

#4 indiandan

indiandan

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:18 PM

go into bios and check and see how hot your cpu is running,it might be set to shut down at a certain temp.sound like it running to hot
Dan Hollingsworth
A+ certified
Mircosoft certified professional

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:44 PM

You can download Everest Home Edition to see the temps of the CPU, the motherboard and the hard drives:

Everest Home Edition (freeware)

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by higlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice.

Download here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

After you get the program up, open the computer tree by clicking on the + to the left of the word "computer" and clicking on "sensor".

Go through the other catagories and see if it highlites a problem anywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users