Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get my video card to work......

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:37 PM

hello, I just installed a new SATA HD, which is fine... but, now my video card isn't working right. Normally, I just put in a new IDE HD and install my video drivers and everything is fine. But, now, as soon as I install the drivers to my vid card and reboot, I get the "out of range" message. If I then, uninstall my video drivers, I can see the desktop fine then. They work fine otherwise.

The guy at the computer store told me that I needed to change a setting in BIOS, but I can't remember which one it was or anything.

One last thing: I had to change my SATA MODE in BIOS to IDE instead of RAID in order for WinXP to be able to run the SATA HD. I haven't installed all my MoBo drivers yet, because I'm not sure whether to install the IDE or RAID ones, or both, or neither.

If someone even knew something about BIOS and vid cards it would probably help a lot.

Thanks in advance for any help...

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

Change your circumstances; change your mind.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluehaze

bluehaze

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

Well if you just reinstalled your operating system which sounds like it did.

The first thing you must do is install the Mobo Drivers.

i believe you are confusing yourself over the word RAID SATA and IDE.

IDE is a format used for the old HD that has the 32 pin in the back.. actually i forgot how many pins..its been a while since i have used one.
SATA HD is the new type of HD that has that small L connection for data and possibly power.

Raid is another way of saying how you would like your computer to treat more than 1 HD in your computer. an example If you have more than 1 HD.. you could tell your computer to put same data on 2 drive at the same time. RAID is a bit complicated to explain... however the jist of it..you must have 2 HD minimum to set up properly. You can always install an operating system without it ON.

Mobo Drivers really is more for the internal motherboard things. such as the northbridge drivers and southbridge driver .. sound card.. and nic card if they are intergrated.
video card may be part of that as well if intergrated. Thus you definitly want to install the mobo drivers after installing an OS. Once those mobo drivers are installed. Go ahead and reinstall your vidio card driver.

Do not worry yourself over the RAID/SATA/IDE part as that has already been resolved by your BIOS since you are able to get to your OS.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:31 AM

Before you go fooling around in the bios, right click the desk top select properties, then settings. Try lowering the resolution a bit just move the slider a notch or two to the left and see what happens.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:58 AM

thanks Bluehaze, that helped my understanding considerably. Although, I don't know why the BIOS defaults to RAID on both default settings, when I've never even had 2 HD's, but it's no matter. The important thing is that I can go ahead and install my IDE drivers with confidence now and maybe that will help a lot, I really don't know. All I know is that I never had a problem with that Vid Card not working with it's own drivers before getting a SATA hard drive, so I was just about to give up on it. I'll keep working on it.... thanks.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

#5 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:32 AM

I had a sneaky suspicion that would happen. I installed all of the mobo drivers and the video card drivers and rebooted and voila, I got the same "OUT OF RANGE" message with a black screen again as usual. My old hd was bad, so I got rid of that and got this new SATA. My first SATA with xp. I've been dealing with this new HD for 3 days now and it's entirely frustrating. All my other peices of hardware are fine. However, upon trying to boot into safe mode in order to UNINSTALL the video drivers so that I can at least see my desktop, I got a BSOD and keep getting one into a vicous cycle. So, I'm running recovery now for the 3rd time... the only thing that I did when I first tried installing this SATA with xp was changed BIOS settings to fail safe. Since then I have changed them back to "Optimal" settings, but I have a gut feeling that somethings still not quite what it should be in BIOS where the vid card's concerned. Anyway, I explained all this to the local shop guy and he convinced me to keep the SATA HD and that it had nothing to do with my symptoms, but %*&#@, I've never had this much trouble with an IDE HD before.... what... do... I... have... to... do... to... fix... this... prob... lem... ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:16 AM

I really don't understand your confusion over installing drivers.

Most drivers CDs are geared to only install drivers if they are needed.

A simple look in Device Manager will indicate what drivers require attention.

The BIOS settings changes you made...from SATA to IDE...is common and is done automatically on my two systems. This allows installation of XP (which has no native drivers for SATA drives) to do the install without bothering with the F6 prompt sequence on the XP install routine.

Although you say that your "video card" isn't working...do you really mean "video chip"?

If you did not install a physical video card...then you are using the onboard video chip.

If you did install a physical video card, that would probably be the only sequence in which you might have to install video drivers. Sometimes XP has the drivers in its cache and installation by user is not necessary.

If you have a physical card installed...you may have to disable the onboard video function...in the BIOS...before the card will work properly.

Louis

#7 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:30 AM

"If you have a physical card installed...you may have to disable the onboard video function...in the BIOS...before the card will work properly."

Perhaps this is it then. Because of the unnecessary changes I made in BIOS, it may have gotten changed. What is happening, put as simply as I can, is that everything is super slow on my pc UNTIL I install the drivers that came with my 9600 GT card, which is very necessary. Once I install them, I get the "out of range" message on my monitor.

What do I need to look for in BIOS to disable the onboard video?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

I would look for the section indicating onboard motherboard default functions.

It's hard to say, there is much variety in BIOSes. Take a look at your motherboard manual or owner's manual.

Louis

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:58 PM

Just installed a new video card turkey day and the first thing it stated in the instructions was go to bios and disable mother board video in order to load new bios off of the c/d and use them. It worked for me. Then went to BFG site and updated drivers. I must say after doing as instructed it took a lot of tinkering to get every thing just right. If all that works use auto default for your new card. Screen resolution is where I would go next. Start low and work your way up. Different monitors will except different settings. At this time mine is at 1280/1024. As soon as I feel like being frustrated again I will tinker with it some more.

#10 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:46 AM

"As soon as I feel like being frustrated again I will tinker with it some more."

hahahaha.

Well, thanks for all the responses here. I really appreciate it. Wish pc's were a bit easier to deal with at times. Anyway, a new acquaintance of mine was nice enough to come over and take a look at it. He works in IT, I think. He wasn't sure exactly what happened either. But, oddly enough, when he re-installed the drivers and updated the drivers for my computer, he rebooted and everything was fine. He theorized that it was probably the fact that my CPU got updated and was able to then "understand" the vid card drivers (or settings). So, the one thing he did differently was that he used windows updates for everything. I never use windows updates... don't really care much for it... but, after this episode, I think I'll start. :-)

Edited by GoodFortitude, 02 January 2010 - 12:46 AM.

#11 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:56 AM

:flowers:

Hey, Mate.

Those Updates are there to cover the Mistakes that Windows have in them. Ignoring them is the same as ignoring Traffic Lights? Sooner of later you will get HIT!!!

Happy New Year!

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users