Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE jCarousel error:

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Klugeless

Klugeless

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

I am using Internet Explorer 8 (version 8.0.6001.18702) on Windows XP Pro.

I've started experiencing an error message while using Internet Explorer 8. Occasionally I go to a website that has never given me trouble before. I get there okay, but an error window pops up about something called jCarousel that apparently is causing infinite loops. This happens frequently, at different websites, but not consistently at any website. I'll get an error message like "no width or height set for items: aborting." I have no idea what jCarousel is. I have never knowingly installed it or anything like it. It does not appear as an installed program when I try Add/Remove Programs from my control panel. Spyware/ad ware detection programs do not find anything suspicious. It is not listed under services.msc

I have seen many other questions relating to this by doing a Google search. Many people are apparently having this problem, and there are a number of "answers" given, but none of them solve the problem. One popular "answer' is to say it's spyware and then try to to get people to download a particular anti-spyware program as a "solution." (I've run spyware programs, and it's apparently not spyware or an infection.) Sometimes Photobucket is listed as a culprit (I don't use it or have it installed). Other "answers" include instructions on how to stop pop-ups (I don't want to stop all pop-ups) or how to adjust Internet Explorer (my IE works just fine, thank you).

I just want to uninstall this jCarousel thing to stop these error messages. Does anyone know what is causing this, and how I can get rid of it (e.g., how I can uninstall this jCarousel, whatever it is)?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

A quick Google hints that this scripting function is not yet supported on IE8, but that was a couple weeks ago. It would be specific to a site(s) that are using that function. Do other sites work okay?

Have you recently changed to IE8?

Do you have an IE7 or other browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) on another system?

What is the link (if it is not personal) and somebody that has access to IE7 and IE8 can try. I can try IE7, Firefox & Chrome.

http://sorgalla.com/projects/jcarousel/

jCarousel has been tested and works on the following browsers:

Internet Explorer 6 (PC)
Internet Explorer 7 (PC)
FireFox 1.5.0.6 (PC/Mac/Linux)
Opera 9.01 (PC/Mac)
Safari 2.0.4 (Mac)
Safari 3.1.0 (PC)
Konqueror 3.4.0 (Linux)

To help rule out malicious software, here are some popular scanning tools:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 Klugeless

Klugeless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:42 AM

I think Internet Explorer 8 must indeed be the culprit. Someone else told me that jCarousel is a portion of website code, so the problem isnít with my computer but is a problem with websites that don't yet work perfectly with my browser. Searching the Internet I notice a lot of questions about jCarousel (but no correct answers) posted about the time Internet Explorer 8 made its debut.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users