Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and XP communication

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SturmB

SturmB

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:50 PM

I put a fresh copy of Windows 7 RC 32-bit on an old-ish PC. Runs just fine. This will be my media server, so I put in a 2TB drive, partitioned to hold all of my images, music, videos, etc. on separate logical drives. I've shared them and set the permissions so that "everyone" has "full" access to the shared drives. Everyone's using the same workgroup name and they can all see each other just fine.

So why, pray tell, can I not access these shared drives from either my Windows XP machine nor my other Windows 7 machine? For the sake of clarification, we can call this server "MediaServer", my XP machine "Notebook" and my other Windows 7 PC "Gaming PC".

Feel free to ask me every step you would do to share these drives properly without the need for usernames & passwords and I'll let you know if they work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

Any firewalls involved anywhere? Even if you've set them so they work.

You can see the Server PC and the shared folder(s) or drives(we'll call this the shared stuff) in workgroup but can't access them? or you can see the PC but not the shared stuff? What error is coming up when you try to access?

Some people have to turn on guest accounts to get it all to work.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 SturmB

SturmB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

Any firewalls involved anywhere? Even if you've set them so they work.

I actually turned the firewall off on the Server (the one running Windows 7 RC)

You can see the Server PC and the shared folder(s) or drives(we'll call this the shared stuff) in workgroup but can't access them? or you can see the PC but not the shared stuff? What error is coming up when you try to access?

Yes, in Windows Explorer on the notebook computer (running XP), under "My Network Places", I can see all the share drives, including the default shared folder, "Users" on the server. In fact, I can browse just fine into that "Users" folder, and then into the "Public" folder under it, showing that the Shared Documents or whatever it's called in Win7 is shared just fine. But I get the usual error dialog when I try to browse to the drives that I shared manually:

\\Blatch\music is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied.
As I stated before, I thought I did everything to make sure each of those drives was shared to "Everyone" with "Full" access, unless I missed something. Or maybe it's not possible to share an entire drive instead of just the folders contained within it?

To add insult to injury, I was able to access all my stuff just fine from my Gaming PC (also running Win7RC) until I made three small changes, hoping they'd allow my notebook to access it. The three changes seemed harmless enough:
  • Running gpedit.msc, under Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options: Changing the "Microsoft network client: Send unencrypted password to third-party SMB servers" to Enabled. (Saw this through a Google search and it seemed to help someone else.)
  • Turning off Homegroups and making Win7 use the normal "user accounts and passwords" under "Advanced sharing settings" (again, a Google search that worked for someone else.)
  • and right-clicking one of the shared drives and having Win7 "Include in Library", since it seemed to work for someone else.
Now my Gaming PC asks for a username and password, for which the login username & password of the server does not work, and the notebook still won't browse the shared drives. I'm actually worse off now after making those three changes, so I guess I'll revert them.

Any ideas?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

If I am reading this correctly, you can access the system default shares just not what you shared? So you might think you shared them correctly but ya missed something, I know, thanks for pointing out the obvious A-Hole lmao. I have not tried to share an entire drive in Win7 or Vista but I have in XP. Its not recommended but you should be able to do it anyway. Try just sharing a folder on the drive to see. It might be a safety thing *shrug*

I have been looking for a step by step on sharing in Win7 but none of them are right. What I would do is look at the way the system shared stuff is set and see if there is any differences. I'm betting its something silly simple. I am still looking for a good guide, I'll post if I can find one.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 SturmB

SturmB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:41 PM

I should have tried that to begin with; I had a feeling there was some sort of safeguard built into Windows to prevent users from "accidentally" sharing an entire drive.

So, I shared one of the many folders within one of the drives and it shows up and is browseable on the Notebook PC. The Gaming PC, however, still wants credentials and, as I said before, no credentials I give it work.

So, I'm guessing I should turn "Homegroups" on again on this Server PC to see if that clears the latter problem up. As for the former problem, how can I convince Win7 that I DO want to share the drives themselves and not to try and prevent my from "hurting myself"?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

Homegroup only works between Win7 PCs, which sounds like a solution but then the XP wouldn't be able to "connect".

I had to remove my Win7 virt machine, I am in the process of reinstalling it. To see if I can figure out why you can't share the entire drive.

Does the Notebook have the guest account turned on? What about the server? Make sure that Password protection is off on the Gaming PC.

I found this site make sure when you right click the drive there is an Everyone and you gave it full access. I know but humor me =)

Merry Christmas btw =) or whatever you celebrate lol

Edited by CaveDweller2, 24 December 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#7 SturmB

SturmB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:44 PM

Homegroup only works between Win7 PCs, which sounds like a solution but then the XP wouldn't be able to "connect".

Ouch, so I can only have one or the other connecting to the Server? That sucks. Unless your suggestion below for the Gaming PC works.

I had to remove my Win7 virt machine, I am in the process of reinstalling it. To see if I can figure out why you can't share the entire drive.

Yeah, that seems to be the only roadblock for the Notebook PC's connecting to it, even though Win7 appears to show that everything's shared.

Does the Notebook have the guest account turned on?

It didn't, but I have it on now. Still nothing.

What about the server?

Same thing; it wasn't on before, but I've not turned it on. Still no joy.

Make sure that Password protection is off on the Gaming PC.

I'll give that a try tomorrow; getting sleepy now.

I found this site make sure when you right click the drive there is an Everyone and you gave it full access. I know but humor me =)

Hey, no worries. I'll try anything, even if I've already tried it a dozen times. :~) Yes, I've made sure there is an Everyone, but I'll check out your link tomorrow, when I get home from family.

Merry Christmas btw =) or whatever you celebrate lol

Indeed, Merry Christmas to you, good sir!

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

Homegroup is a Win7 thing. Bill Gates thinks that people should buy new PCs every time a new OS comes out. So all your PCs should be Win7, DUH! lol If they were then Homegroup makes it all work but Welcome to the Real World Neo. The bleep don't work lol.

I know its something silly. Get some sleep and enjoy your family tomorrow =) the problem will be there when you return lol

#9 SturmB

SturmB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

Homegroup is a Win7 thing. Bill Gates thinks that people should buy new PCs every time a new OS comes out. So all your PCs should be Win7, DUH! lol If they were then Homegroup makes it all work but Welcome to the Real World Neo. The bleep don't work lol.

I hope to eventually replace this aging notebook with a new one that includes Win7. There's a bunch of vertical lines that keep cropping up on the display which will eventually render it useless. But that's for some time in the future.

I know its something silly. Get some sleep and enjoy your family tomorrow =) the problem will be there when you return lol

Actually, I had some time this morning before going to family, so I checked out that link. At first, it looked like stuff I've already done, except for the steps in the "Security" tab. I've never had to deal with that tab before (probably because I've not had to deal with Win7 before), especially the step where you manually enter "Everyone" by typing it in. So, I gave it a shot.

Success! It appears that my Notebook PC can finally browse the shares on the Server PC! I'll keep an eye on it the next few days, though, being the cynic that I am, and see if it falls apart. I also am going to try turning Homeshares back on so that my Gaming PC can browse the shares, too.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users