Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IS 2010 can't get past start screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 John Good

John Good

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

Hello and thanks alot for helping us!

I have an XP machine in my home network that got infected with IS 2010. When I start the computer (in safe or normal mode) i get a fake welcome screen (the blue Windows welcome screen) with the "administrator" button. I am sure its fake because I see the desktop "flash" for a split second before the fake screen covers it. I can't get past this fake start up GUI to take your recommended countermeasures. I just need a clue so I can get "in" and get this scourge out! I am a veteren of fighting the AV 2009 war so I know something about these things. Anyway, I have already taken one interesting countermeasure. Since I couldn't get past the fake start screen, i removed the hard drive and attached a raid to USB adaptor cable. I then cleaned the drive by scanning it with MBaum from another machine thru the USB connection. Both Mcafee and MBaum found numerous infections and cleaned them. But upon retrying I still get the fake screen when I reboot with the cleaned drive in the first machine. I repeated the cleaning procedure and the infections had regenerated. Any ideas how to get past the fake screen or to clean remotely with the 2nd machine?

Thanks
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

Is task manager disabled? (ctrl + alt + delete)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users