Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash on Access of My Network Places

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SpiderGat

SpiderGat

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

Hello there BleepingComputer!
I've trusted this site for many years on all my computer problems and it's come time yet again to ask for guidance. I have a computer attached to a home network and recently I tried to access it via My Network Places on the start menu (And subsequently through My Computer when that didn't work). I'm having the darndest time trying to figure this out. Whenever I click on the link, whatever window I'm in just freezes up. When I click on the X out button it brings up the End Now option and I click it. At this point explorer disappears for about 5 seconds leaving only my pretty wallpaper to look at and then comes back like nothing ever happened. Any ideas on why I can't access it? This computer is also used for games which seem to switch my network settings back to default whenever they are played and thus I have to run the home connection wizard every time I need to access another computer. Thanks in advance for any advice guys! Much appreciated!

Spider

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:37 PM

What version of windows on all PCs involved? How are they connected? What game is messing with your network settings?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 SpiderGat

SpiderGat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

All are running Windows XP Pro I believe. They are connected through a router. And the Game is any of the Call of Duty series.

The link setup is a Scientific Atlanta Webstar Modem, from there it goes to a US Robotics wireless Turbo Access Point and Reciever and also a AirLink 8 port Ethernet Switch.

The call of duty series somehow messes with the connection, because before it started crashing like this I would have to run the "Find home network" setup tool every time I wanted to access other computers after I had played the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users