Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saving Files from a corrupted disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Adam315

Adam315

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:13 AM

Hello, not sure where to begin.

Im trying to help a friend with her computer.

Its a Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop.

1.5 ghz, Pentium M, 386mb of ram. running XP sp 2.

She received a memory page size error, called up dell support they walked her thru it, but somehow along the way her HD files got corrupted.

Windows error code : 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x83725160, 0x00000102, 0x00000000)

Ive tried running it in safe mode, get the same problem, (blue screen of death) ive tried using the recovery console located on the XP reinstallation cd provided by dell. not really sure what command i need to use besides (fixboot, fixmbr)

Does anyone know how i might be able to repair the partition so that i can retrieve the files i need?

Or some sort of software that i can use to extract the files to a different drive (external usb flash drive)

Thanks for your help.

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:18 AM

HI if you go to Help and Support on windows XP and type in 0x00000024 you will get 15 different options, read them you should finf the one that is for your problem.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

Are you refering to help and support on the Local machine? (I cannot boot the machine up) even in safe mode.

I also referenced it on Microsofts knowledge base, the results i got explained that the error is caused by one of the sys files. BUT the only options it shows to remedy this are by using the computer while its running the OS.

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:18 AM

UBCD4Win this tool will give you full read/write access to the hard drive allowing you to safe the files and then reformat and reinstall.

You will need a working PC to build the CD and access to a WinXP Cd with SP1 or SP2 slipstreamed.

#5 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:30 AM

Edit - need to read link posted above.

Edited by Adam315, 17 August 2005 - 11:44 AM.

#6 indiandan

indiandan

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:35 AM

install hard drive in another computer as a slave drive you can access the data.as long as it work. and is seen by the other computer.
Dan Hollingsworth
A+ certified
Mircosoft certified professional

#7 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:54 AM

I was not aware that you could do that with laptop, and tower PC's , swapping them out like that.

BUT i did fix the problem, with the help from you guys. :thumbsup:

That Ultimate Boot Cd, really is a great product. I was able to retrieve the data that i needed, even though the HD was not being recognized by the laptop.

THanks for all your help :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users