Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screens when starting up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ganna

ganna

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:12 AM

Hi all,

All of sudden today my PC has decided to barrage me with BSODs......first I got one saying Beginning Physical Dump of Memory (I have had this a more than a few times before & was not that worried about it); on restarting I was in safe mode.

Restarted again and got a black screen saying that a system file was not found or corrupted (unfortunately I didn't write down the file name is mentioned & it never showed up again).

On restarting again I was shown a BSOD saying Unmountable Boot Volume with the following Stop code: 0x000000ED (0x82D60848, 0xC0000185, zero, zero).

I ran Windows XP Recovery - typed chkdsk /r and let it run....it ran till 75% then went back down 50%, rebooted & I was then shown a blue screen saying c000021a Fatal System Error; Windows stopped and the error code was 0xC0000005 (zero, zero)

Any help really would be appreciated!!!

My system is:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - 3200

Memory: Corsair 512MB DDR Memory

Mobo: Gigabyte K8NS Ultra S939

HD: 160Gb 7200rpm 8Mb Buffer

Thanks again
It's great being an anorak

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:00 AM

HI this is what the error message means
STOP 0x000000ED or UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Windows XPwas unable to gain access to the volume containing boot files. If you see this STOP message while attempting to upgrade a system to Windows XP, verify that you have compatible drivers for the disk controller and check the drive cabling to make sure it is configured properly. If your using ATA-66 or ATA-100 drivers, make sure you have an 80-connector cable, not a standard 40-connector IDE cable. Also works in with these next 2 as well. In some cases, this error will spontaneously correct itself after you restart your system. The one below works in with this one.

STOP 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows XP was unable to locate the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Thid problem may occurr after repartitioning disks, adding new disks, or upgrading a disk controller and its drivers. In that case, entries in the Boot.ini file no longer point to the correct partitions. If the error occurs after upgrading the disk controller, verify that the new hardware is configured properly. Then start your system with the Windows XP CD, log onto the Recovery Console, and use the Bootcfg command to scan for available Windows installations and repair the Boot.ini file automatically.

STOP 0xc000021a or STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

This message indicates a serious security problem with Windows XP - a user-mode sub-system, such as Winlogon or Client Server Runtime Subsystem (Csrss.exe,) is compromised. The most common cause of this program is a third-party program, and the solution is usually to remove that program. This error can also occur if a backup set has been partially restored, causing a mismatch in system files, or if system permission have been incorrectly modified so that System account no longer has permission to access system files and folders.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by thedon57, 17 August 2005 - 10:02 AM.

Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 ganna

ganna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for tryin to help.....I tried as suggested in the INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE (Recovery - bootcfg /scan) . On rebooting a got a blue screen that flashed too quickly to read & restarted again. This happened both when booting up normally & when trying last good configuration that worked.

When I tried rebooting in safe mode I got the same Fatal System Error blue screen again!

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

Hi sorry about that looks like a clean install for your computer then.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#5 ganna

ganna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:31 AM

Thought so too actually!!!

But thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic