Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Unset Read-Only option on folders and files.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EddieNeedsHelp

EddieNeedsHelp

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

So I'm trying to rewrite the information of some mp3s and the files and folders that contain them all say Read Only so I can't mess with the information. I am logged in as the admin and I followed the directions off of the Microsoft Support website to claim ownership over the files and folders and it still won't allow me to unset the read only check box. I can select Properties and uncheck the box but after I hit okay and reopen Properties it is checked again. Help would be appreciated >:} Not a huge issue so help out the people who really need it first!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:59 PM

Try this:

Open a command windows (Start>Run>cmd>Enter)

Change to the directory containing the files (i.e. cd C:\Music\Cool\neat)

Enter the following command:

cacls *.mp3 /T /g Administrator:F

Where mp3 is the filetype and Administrator is the username.

Anatomy of the command:
cacls *.mp3 /T /g Administrator:F
The cacls (Change Access Control ListS) command is the Windows utility for changing the permissions of files and directories on an NTFS volume. As it's arguments we're using *.mp3 which corresponds to any/all MP3 files, followed by the /T switch which means to also go into any subdirectories looking for files, and then finally the /g switch (g for grant) then the username (in the example, Administrator,) a colon (: ) and then the permission we are granting (F, for Full access)

So the command says to grant full access to each MP3 file in the directory and subdirectories to the Administrator user. be sure to answer "yes" when it asks if you are sure.

The cacls command can sometimes force a change when the graphical method fails. Let us know either way and we can go from there.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 24 December 2009 - 02:07 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:27 PM

FWIW: I find that read-only files...mean nothing when I want to change them or move them.

I may be asked if I really want to do what I want to do...I answer "yes" and it's done.

Unless, of course, if the read-only files are on CD/DVD :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users