Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need wireless to laptop Christmas gift no good without it!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hutcheon

hutcheon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

Heres my problem and thanks in advanc e for the help
Im about to give my girlfriends son a laptop for Christmas and I c ant figure out why it wont detect the wireless network.
The components im dealing with are

1.cable modem
2.Linksys wireless g broadband router
3.Host computer is a HP deskyop running XP
4.Asus laptop running Win7

I have 3 other desktops all accessing the network via wired connections.
When I detect the network on the laptop it tells me it is an unsecured network connection but i cant connect.
I ran the wizard on the xp system using a usb memory stick then it tells me to plug into the wireless access point ? cand then connect to each computer you want to add to the network.
what is the wireless access point the router? I dont see any access points for a usb on the router.

Any help?

If i dont get this working I will have one unhappy 13 year old on my hands.
I thought about calling someone but with christmas here the funds are just not available.
I do have some knowledge about computers and follow instruction very well

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

It won't detect it or it won't connect to it? Won't detect it means it can't see it. Won't connect means it sees it it just can't talk to it.

I am going to take from a latter statement that it can detect it just not connect. Are you using the software that normally is installed with a wireless card? or are you using Windows to connect? I recommend using windows but that's me. Normally you have to set the software so its not used. Look for a check box that says Enable this software or something like that and uncheck it OR look for something about Disabling it and check that.

To configure your Wireless using “WLAN Autoconfig” <- the name of Zero Config in win7
  • Click Start – Control Panel
  • Click “View network status and tasks” (in classic view double-click Network and Sharing Center )
  • From Network and Sharing Center, click “Connect Network“. This will scan for a list of available networks.
  • Select your network and click Connect. If you have never gone in and change the SSID(this is what is displayed) then yours will most likely be named Linksys.
  • If the network requires (most likely) a security key or a passphrase, enter and click connect. You may choose “Display Character” if you want to see the characters you are typing.
  • Once connected, you an choose to Save the network and automatically connect to this network.
Check out this site. It has some good basic info on how to do what you need to do. But at this point don't worry about security just get them talking then add in security.

While technically an access point and router are 2 different things(APs only provide a connection point while routers do that plus other things) for your purposes, they are the same. And what the wizard is talking about is having the PCs plugged into the router.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 24 December 2009 - 02:34 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 hutcheon

hutcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

Thanks! for the info , after some reading I reset the router to factory settings and voila everything is great
But!!!!!
The mode it is in now is unsecured which I understand anybody within range can access the network and for obvious reasons I would like to set a password for the network.

On the lynksis router setup page I go to the wireless tab then wireless sec urity tab and it says disabled then it gives you options such as
-disable
-wpa pre-shared key
-wpa radius
-radius
-wep

right now it is on disable
i tried to put it to wep and generate a passphrase cand when i did that the network went down. i switched back to disable and everything is great again.
I really need to password protect this network!!!!
thanks again

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:54 PM

You want to use WPA - Pre-Shared Key or WPA-PSK. With that you just enter a pass phrase that is atleast 8 characters long, the longer the better, then when they try to connect to the router a window will pop up asking for the pass phrase they enter it twice and it will connect them. You can use anything for the phrase: letters, numbers, symbols or a combo of all and caps count. Its more secure than WEP.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 hutcheon

hutcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

worked like a charm
thank you very much
cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic