Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EXEs not executing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 animestan

animestan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hi, I'm having a problem with specific .exe 's not executing at all/correctly.
Such .exe's such as Borderlands, (and other games) teamspeak3...
Other exe.'s work such as Iexplorer, firefox, steam, etc...
I've scanned with malware bytes, and nod32.
I've tried winXP DEP to allow the processes to execute but no luck.
Looking deeper, I opened up task manager and looked at the processes while I clicked the exe. Lets say for example: I click an exe called oreo.exe. I'll see oreo.exe in TaksManager's processes appear, then disappear.
Theres no error message or anything.
Specs:

XP Sp2
4gb ram
500gb seagate
600W coolmaster
gts 250 512mb

Other
*Nod32
*Windows Firewall is disabled

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

*Windows Firewall is disabled
Not really the greatest of ideas, unless you have another one installed, IMHO...Outside of that have you tried to run chkdsk or sfc /scannow?

Start>Run> type chkdsk hit enter...You will be prompted to restart. Chkdsk will run upon re-start.

Instructions for sfc /scannow:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

You may be prompted to insert XP installation CD to complete...Recovery CD's won't work...

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 24 December 2009 - 12:18 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 animestan

animestan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

Well I'm relying on NOD32's firewall right now, and i've done chkdsk, I'll post how sfc/scannow goes
Thanks

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

Adding things to DEP brings upon me a big eeeeew factor - especially if things used to work okay.

Consider adding SAS to your list of things you have done:

Download, install, update and do a full scan:

SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Look in the Event Viewer for clues around the time of the failure:

Here is a method to post the specific information about individual events.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System. Some logs may be almost or completely empty.
Not every event is a problem, some are informational messages that things are working okay and some are warnings.
No event should defy reasonable explanation.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time. Errors will have red Xs, Warnings will have yellow !s.
Information messages have white is. Not every Error or Warning event means there is a serious issue.
Some are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting. Try to find just the events at the date
and time around your problem.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with more information. On the right are
black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like
two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of your issue, click the third button
under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click, Paste
or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can choose to clear the log (backing up the log is offered),
then reproduce your issue, then look at just the events around the time of your issue.

Edited by joseibarra, 24 December 2009 - 06:18 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 animestan

animestan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

As far as Event Viewer goes, no errors pertain to this issue (only error i see are for hl2.exe and samHD.exe , both in which i know what caused the error and are not related to this issue at all)
I had a BSOD earlier but I do not think it relates to my problem (it is the first time it has shown up)
Cat. 102
Event ID: 1003
Error code 10000050, parameter1 bb257000, parameter2 00000001, parameter3 80539b33, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

*Page fault in nonpaged area

The Windows File Protection prompted for a CD which I inserted, and the process finished.
I tried executing an exe , and still the same result. (not all .exe's do not work) It seems that new things I install dont work. (unless I've installed them before) i.e. I installed borderlands, STALKER1 & STALKER 2, Teamspeak 3, all the exes do not work. But I installed Serious Sam HD recently and it worked, I also installed 7-zip, and it works (but this was installed already at an earlier time).
Will Scan with SAS in a bit.

*EDIT SAS cleaned out 500+ cookies and 1 suspected trojan. Will reboot pc and post results

Edited by animestan, 24 December 2009 - 08:27 PM.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

SAS is a good cookie finder.

It looks to me like some of the stuff you are having trouble with are games and I am not a gamer and don't want to install them to see what happens here. I do see that you are still on XP SP3 but I read some of the game requirements and they say they will work with SP2.

If you had a BSOD, you have a memory dump file - usually in c:\windows\minidump and you can attach the latest dump or two here and we can look at them and maybe get some clues for that. It may not be related to your issue, but you should not be having a BSOD anyway.

That particular BSOD could be caused by a faulty driver, hardware, (vague), marginal RAM... so have you made any changes in those areas - new RAM, video card or drivers or anything just for gaming, etc.

If would not hurt to run a hopefully boring RAM test as well. RAM is also suspicious with that BSOD, but I still don't know why those things will not launch. If you can find out where the executable (.exe) file is for one that does not work, you may be able to see something bu opening a CMD window (Start, Run, CMD), browsing to the executable and launching it from a command line. There may be an informative message there that you cannot see when you launch from the XP GUI.

Run a test of your RAM with memtest86+ (I know it is boring and will cost you a CD).

The memtest will not run under Windows, so you will need to download the ISO file and create a bootable CD, boot on that and then run the memtest program.

The file and instructions are here:

http://www.memtest.org/

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 animestan

animestan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

Thanks, I ran the RAM test for the 7-8 test i believe,
Well it is not just games (only certain games don't start up) it includes applications such as TeamSpeak3.
Did a restart after all this, and the result is still the same.

Attached is recent minidump.
*I had to make it a zip because it wouldnt accept the raw dump file or a .rar file

Attached Files

Edited by animestan, 25 December 2009 - 10:46 AM.

#8 animestan

animestan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

Any solutions?
more so the .exe problem than the BSOD, because I rarely get them.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

Try running chkdsk /r.

Running CHKDSK - http://www.1securitycenter.com/windows_xp_faq/chkdsk.html. Note: Put check marks in both boxes, not just one.

Louis

#10 animestan

animestan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:00 AM

Finished the chkdsk with the 2 boxes checked off
Result:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 477 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 477 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 477 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

488375968 KB total disk space.
399902216 KB in 373159 files.
213560 KB in 29974 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
641368 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
87618824 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
122093992 total allocation units on disk.
21904706 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 c7 06 00 c8 26 06 00 83 38 0a 00 00 00 00 00 .....&...8......
14 9e 02 00 02 00 00 00 34 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........4.......
50 68 db 20 00 00 00 00 38 26 99 20 01 00 00 00 Ph. ....8&. ....
6e 1a 73 22 00 00 00 00 74 69 fd 81 11 00 00 00 n.s"....ti......
2e bf 4f 56 03 00 00 00 d0 b6 d0 4b 16 00 00 00 ..OV.......K....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 98 38 07 00 a7 b1 05 00 ..6......8......
00 00 00 00 00 20 18 58 5f 00 00 00 16 75 00 00 ..... .X_....u..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Problem still exists though.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

Has this system been recently infected?

Louis

#12 animestan

animestan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

I've always had Nod32 Up, scanned weekly with no problems, same with malware bytes, and recently with SAS (which removed a susupected trojan)

Edited by animestan, 31 December 2009 - 10:07 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

Well...it's hard to suggest anything without any clues/error messages.

If the system seems to perform normally in all other areas...I guess that I would have to suspect these "games/programs" where it doesn't perform normally.

Louis

#14 animestan

animestan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:11 PM

The issue is that these apps work on my friends pc, and worldwide such as TeamSpeak3 (voip program)

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:59 AM

If the programs work on other systems...and all other installed programs work properly on a system...then I have to suspect that the programs which are problematical may be damaged.

If uninstalling them and then reinstalling doesn't solve it...it seems we are left with a situation with no clues and which are somewhat anomalous.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users