Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Communal Computer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 What The Who

What The Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:00 AM

Hello Bleeping Computer! Been a while since I've posted here, but I know if anyone can help here... it's you guys.

Here's the story... I work at a hotel, 3rd shift, and I've been tasked with fixing up one of the computers. This computer is mainly used for web-browsing and emailing, but has a few programs that patch into the Hotel Software Systems. I'd say about 95% of the usage is simply casual web browsing.

Last week, "Internet Security 2010" showed up. Using rkill and MBAM, I was able to remove that (I believe).

Problems;

Redirects - Type a query into yahoo search, listing comes up. Select link and I get taken somewhere else.
--Example: I type in google, and the first search result is google.com. When I click the link to go to google.com, I get taken to google.nl. I don't speak Dutch, so the Netherlands Google won't help me much.

Freezing - The computer keeps freezing. If left idle (anywhere between 5-30 minutes), everything locks up. No error messages. No beeps. No changes in the LED color on the case. Nothing. Even the clock in the taskbar freezes.

Ran MBAM, no problems found. Lavasoft Adaware, no problems found. Norton 360, no problems found. Per my bosses instructions, I uninstalled Norton (which is a pain) and installed CyberDefender (full paid version), ran that, and still found no problems. CCleaner is also used regularily.

Computer: Dell Optiplex GX520, Windows XP Pro SP3, P4 2.8GHz, 512mb RAM Intel 82945G Express Chipset.

Thoughts? FYI, Depending on the time of day, it may take me up to 12 hours to reply as I only have access to the computer while I'm at work. But I have the bosses permission (and admin access) to make any changes to the computer needed to get it working right.
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users