Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual boot

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 J.C.

J.C.

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:15 AM

Hi, I installed a second had drive on my 7 year old nephew's computer. Both drives are 'seagate': on the first drive is Win98
and I install WinXP on the second HDD. Computer used only for school work no games.
My problem is that when I start the system, the dual boot menu does not show up and system start WinXP.
(1) Bios is set and both HDD are shown
(2) In WinXP...on MyComputer the drive on which Win98 is won't respond when clicked.
(3) In Control Panel under system default operating system list only WinXP is shown.
(4) If I disconnect power to WinXP, and bootup system Win98 OS comes up.
Note systems were installed inthe following order Win 98 and the WinXP.
Any idea what is going on?
Is there anything in Bios apart from the boot order that can cause this problem?
Any assistance will be appreciated.
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:33 AM

:flowers:

Check if Win98 is actually installed in C: Drive on the First HDD and XP is installed in D: Drive on the other one, not also C: Drive. That would cause it to be confused if there are two C: Drives, so it would select XP and refuse to recognise the other C: Drive.

That can happen if you do not have both in the Machine whilst installing Windows.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 24 December 2009 - 05:36 AM.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:06 AM

A true dual boot system has all OS`s installed on one hard drive. That is when you will get the boot menu that you are expecting to see. To the best of my knowledge the only way to chose which drive to load now is to pick\change the boot order in the BIOS.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:17 PM

Just a clarification...the O/Ses installed can be on separate drives, I've always installed them that way (greater safety) when dual-booting.

It seems that Win 9x is not reflected on your boot.ini when it should be.

I would go into the Recovery Console and run the bootcfg /list command (to see what XP sees). Then I would probably run the bootcfg /rebuild command.

How to rebuild the Windows boot.ini Using Bootcfg - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm

The fact that you cannot look at the Win98 files from XP makes me suspect file system or hard drive problems on that disk.

If I could not run chkdsk /r on it from XP, I would boot into Win98 and run scandisk promptly.

Louis

#5 J.C.

J.C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

What I did so far, I disconnected the new HDD to prevent XP loading and restarted the PC which now booted on Win98.
In Disk Management and Win98 was shown to be on ' C: ' drive.
Then I went to change the drive letter assignment and the system won't let me. It seems that the option to change drive letter is not available on Win98.
Is there a way round this?
Can it be done by using DOS? If so, since I never used DOS can anyone tell me how to go about it?
Your help will be appreciated.

Edited by J.C., 26 December 2009 - 10:04 AM.

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:27 AM

What I did so far, I disconnected the new HDD to prevent XP loading and restarted the PC which now booted on Win98.
In Disk Management and Win98 was shown to be on ' C: ' drive.
Then I went to change the drive letter assignment and the system won't let me. It seems that the option to change drive letter is not available on Win98.
Is there a way round this?
Can it be done by using DOS? If so, since I never used DOS can anyone tell me how to go about it?
Your help will be appreciated.

With the new Hard drive connected (XP) what is the drive labeled (C or D)? The option to change drive paths is available in XP (can't remember whether or not you can do it in 98)...

Master/Slave jumpers come to mind...Are they set correctly?
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:13 AM

If any version of Windows...is reflected as C:, then there is nothing wrong.

It's supposed to be that way.

If Windows is reflected as anything other than C: when booted into...then you may have a potential problem.

Louis

#8 J.C.

J.C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

The new hard drive (XP) is also shown as C: when connected
As I said previously, XP boots up while the old drive doesn't unless XP drive is disconnected.
The old drive is shown under My Computer but when clicked it won't boot.
Bios checked again and both drives are shown and on Auto.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

You cannot boot into any version of Windows...from within another version of Windows.

No matter how many O/Ses are installed on a system...only one can run at any given time. To access the others, a user must reboot the system and then choose the one that is desired to be entered.

From within Win 98, the XP disk cannot be seen or accessed...because it employs a file system (NTFS) which is foreign to Win 9x systems.

From within XP, it can see the Win 98 disk and operating system...but it sees such only as files on a hard drive. None of the programs installed in Win 98 can be started/run from within XP, but data files can be accessed/moved/etc.

Seems to me that your system is working as it should.

When the system first boots, it should give you the option of booting into either Win 98 or XP...with both drives properly attached and jumpered and properly reflected in the BIOS.

If XP was installed...with the Win 9x drive attached and properly recognized...the XP boot.ini file should have recognized the Win 98 install and reflect it as an option on the boot.ini for XP.

Perhaps you need to take a look at your boot.ini.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022, take a look at the edit boot.ini section, noting the two sample boot.ini files. The first reflects one operating system only, since only one is installed. The second reflects a dual-boot situation where everything was properly done...note that there are two entries starting with "multi" and this is because there are two operating systems recognized/reflected as initial boot options.

If you still can't sort it...there is a way to get the boot.ini correctly sorted. If you post a graphic of your current XP boot.ini file...someone can tell you what must be done, if anything.

Louis

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

I agree totally with Hamluis. The Problem seems to point towards the boot.ini.

One thing to consider also is the fact that there are two seperate HDDs involved in it. When setting it up with just one HDD with two Partitions, as shown below, there is no worries about Both OSs being available during the process, but with two HDDs involved, it is possible to set up each OS without the other being in the Machine. This would lead to XP not recognising WIN98SE as an Operating System, rather it thinking it was just DATA. Also there is this to consider?

Install Win9x before WinXP (if installed after, it will overwrite the C:\BOOT.INI file and not allow a dual-boot).

Link here.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread11350.html

Checking out the Boot.ini would be a very smart move, at this time, as it will either show the Problem or eliminate one more thing from consideration.

Edited by Abacus 7, 27 December 2009 - 05:32 PM.

#11 J.C.

J.C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

hi guys, here is the bootloader in XP Pro.
------------------------------------------------------
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

------------------------------------------------------
I appreciate your time on this problem. Hope you give me some clue how to solve it.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

Well, that boot.ini certainly reflects only one Windows installtion. It further reflects that it was the only attached to the system when the install was made, since it reflects no other/earlier Windows install.

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_98_..._windows_xp.htm See Repairing the XP bootloader.

Louis

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

Nice Site, Hamluis, I bookmarked that for later, Thanks.

#14 J.C.

J.C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

Thanks gentlemen for all the helpful suggestions. I have decided to backup the win98 My Document data and reloaded into WinXP and remove the Win98 HDD from the system. Reason is I am not prepared to follow up the instructions given by the quoted site in hamluis reply as I am worried that I will mess things up.
I now know why the dual boot was not recognised by the system, as one thing which I forgot to mention was that I changed the motherboard prior to installing WinXP while the Win98 HDD was installed on the old mobo. Although Win98 HDD worked on the new mobo but not when WinXP was connected.
You might say that I chickened out but I am not a risk taker type. I am a bit green were computers are concerned.
However I wish OGB, Abacus7, Hamluis and all at bleepingcomputer.com a prosperous 2010. :thumbsup:

Edited by J.C., 29 December 2009 - 04:42 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:55 PM

Installing XP...with the Windows 98 drive already attached...would make your situation as it should be, a dual-boot.

I hesitate to say that a repair install of XP would do it...never had your situation. But I would try it, since there's really nothing to lose, IMO...other than 35 minutes or so of time.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users