Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Adwebsearch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RHE09

RHE09

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:44 AM

A friend's computer got infected with the above and more. Computer has Win XP Home SP 3 as OS. I ran combofix and although did handled a few things, the first time it ran it got stuck in a "deleting folders" part of it towards the end. Had to restart computer. Whatever was handled in that run allowed me to install MBAM and run it. It found a whole bunch more of malware. Removed, restart, ran combofix again, this time it got stuck after stage 50. had to restart again.

The computer seems clean now, except when I open Windows explorer, and expand the c drive, it shows an item within it with a computer icon and named combofix. When I expand that, it shows another tree of My Computer (drive a, c, etc). If I open the drive c within it, it shows yet another set of My Computer, on and on. I assume the incomplete combofix runs are related, but how do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

I guess you didn't heed the warning built into Combofix. It should never be run without the supervision of someone trained in the use of the tool.

#3 RHE09

RHE09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:14 PM

Thanks, that helped.

So to anybody who can help, can I safely delete that item called Combofix described in my original post?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:43 AM

Without giving away the inner workings I can tell you that with some infections CF reboots or attempts to reboot very early at certain stages before continuing to run its routine to completion.

Again without going into specific details, the numerous repeating folders you describe are expected behavior by design.

To uninstall ComboFix, press the Windows Key + R keys on your keyboard or go to Posted Image > Run... and in the Open dialog box, type: ComboFix /Uninstall
  • Posted Image
  • Press OK.
  • This will delete ComboFix's related folders/files, reset the clock settings, hide file extensions/system files, clear the System Restore cache to prevent possible reinfection and create a new Restore point.
-- Vista users, users can refer to these instructions: How to Enable Run Command in Vista
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 RHE09

RHE09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:37 PM

Without giving away the inner workings I can tell you that with some infections CF reboots or attempts to reboot very early at certain stages before continuing to run its routine to completion.

Again without going into specific details, the numerous repeating folders you describe are expected behavior by design.

To uninstall ComboFix, press the Windows Key + R keys on your keyboard or go to Posted Image > Run... and in the Open dialog box, type: ComboFix /Uninstall

• Posted Image
  • Press OK.
  • This will delete ComboFix's related folders/files, reset the clock settings, hide file extensions/system files, clear the System Restore cache to prevent possible reinfection and create a new Restore point.
-- Vista users, users can refer to these instructions: How to Enable Run Command in Vista

Thanks so much quietman7, that's exactly what I needed to know. I really appreciate the tip on how to handle. Will execute.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif