Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 justmike1129

justmike1129

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:33 AM

I have installed Malwarebytes anti-malware and it was running then all of a sudden it shut down and left the screen. Now I can't get it to restart it will not restart the program. I have removed and tried to reinstall but it will only start the update part then shuts downand when I try to restart it it will say that it can't find mbam.exe.
any help would be appreciated.

It says CreateProcess failed; Code 2.
The system cannot find the specified file

Edited by justmike1129, 24 December 2009 - 08:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

Some types of malware may delete the main mbam.exe executable file during installation or when attempting to perform a scan which results in various errors.

One way to resolve this is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on a non-infected computer.
  • After installation, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder where mbam.exe is located.
  • Copy the mbam.exe file to the Desktop and rename it to wuauclt.exe or explorer.exe.
  • Save the renamed file to a usb flash drive or CD, then transfer to the infected computer.
    • Alternatively, you can download a randomized renamed mbam.exe version (i.e. jdRjuT7Hk.exe) from here and use that.
    • Another option is to upload the file somewhere so you can download it later to the infected computer.
    • If you do not have access to another computer, ask a friend to email or upload a renamed mbam.exe for you and provide a link to download it.
  • Place the renamed mbam.exe in the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder on the infected computer, then double-click on it to launch the program.
  • Check for database definition updates through the program's interface.
  • Then perform a Quick Scan, check all items found for removal and reboot afterwards.
  • Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
  • When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the report in your next reply.
Another thing you can try, if you cannot run MBAM or complete a scan in normal mode, is to perform a Quick Scan in "safe mode".

Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM but sometimes there is no alternative but to do a safe mode scan. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally and try rescanning again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
2. Restart your computer (very important).
3. Download and run this utility. Mbam clean
4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent.
Note: If using Free version, ignore the part about putting in your license key and activating.
Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration.
Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and run a scan[b]
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 thedeep10

thedeep10

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

Garmanma,
Followed your instructions, but...MBAM locks up, every time, within 20 sec to 3 minutes. If I click on the block I get a "not responding" and that's it...it's dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users