Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Authentec fingerprint reader driver/app?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 modernape

modernape

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:01 AM

Did an in place upgrade from vista HPbit 32 to 7 HP 32bit on an HP pavilion dv2626 - everything went smoothly (only 2 hours), but now the fingerprint reader (Authentec AES2501A) doesn't work. Windows update got a new driver, but then when I clicked the link to register fingerprints in the Biometric section of CP, an error pops up that "truesuite.fpr has stopped working" so it turns out the updated driver installs an app as well. And yet I thought W7 was supposed to support biometric devices natively. When I uninstall this driver and install the old vista one, I then get the message that W7 cannot detect a fingerprint reader (even though it shows up in Device Manager as working properly).

At one point I rolled back the driver to an earlier version, and W7 then told me that it could find no application to register fingerprints with, and I would need to obtain one from the device manufacturer (again, I thought W7 was supposed to do this by itself). I'm running out of ideas. Oh yeah, the other one is, whenever I uninstall a driver to try a different one, then do a reboot, W7 installs a new driver automatically, so how do I stop that?

I contacted Authentec already and they were arrogantly unhelpful (windows update will fix your problems is all they said).

Anyone having similar problems and found some solutions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

My fingerprint reader worked fine after I upgraded. When there is a problem with an application, it can sometimes be found listed in the Action Center. Have you checked there yet?

#3 modernape

modernape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

Yep, nothing listed in the Action centre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users