Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Black Out Problem

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 zourpatch

zourpatch

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

I changed my monitor from my Dell one to my HP one that I had downstairs.. For some reason I didn't shut off my computer before unplugging the monitor but I took the monitor out even when the computer was still on. So, I heard the USB disconnection sound from my computer and I went and connected my other HP monitor. After I connected it I got a blue screen then every time I turn on my cpu after 5 or so minutes my screen begins to get lines/black/scratchy and lags; then it begins to black out. I switch my monitor back and the same problem occurs. I'm almost 100% positive it is not the monitors that are malfunctioning. Anyone have any fixes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

I was about to say that you probably screwed up the port they connect to, but then I looked closer at your post and noticed that you said when you plugged in the HP one for the first time that it got a blue screen. I'm assuming that is the BSOD (blue screen of death, with stop codes and everything).

That is likely a driver problem. Think about it, an HP monitor in a non-HP computer (I'm assuming because you didn't specify). Bad drivers are one of the biggest headaches PC users face, besides malware.

You should try plugging them into a different computer (a friend's laptop will work, if you don't have another) just to make sure that it it not the monitors.

Try downloading and installing new drivers for both monitors. You should be able to go to both manufacturer's websites and find the appropriate drivers. You might have to do it on a different computer cause you probably can't do it in the 5 minutes before the screen craps out.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 zourpatch

zourpatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

Just adding some more info.

If I try to restart with the same monitor, it goes straight to a black out. If I switch the monitor, everything is normal up until the 5-10 minute mark. Things begin to get worse like I see lines everywhere and soon blacks out. I've noticed something new as well. I could unplug and replug the cord that connects the monitor to the PC and things would be normal, on restart up until the 5 minute mark of course.

So when you talk about drivers, should I try reinstalling the current video card driver as well? I have a Dell Monitor that I'm using right now and I'm not sure what model my monitor is. Any recommendations on how to find out what model my monitor is?

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=gen

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

The first place I would look is for a sticker or label on the back, sides, bottom, top, etc...

If you can't find any markings (which I would be shocked to find out), see if you can find the documentation that came with your computer. Invoice, packing slip, manuals, etc...

Your Device Manager might tell you what type of monitor you're using, but it's a long shot.

As far as the drivers go, updating the video card driver is probably a good idea, too.

Keep me updated....

#5 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

First, unplug the video cable from your computer and check for bent, shorted or broken pins. Even though it is a tough connector to damage, those pins are very fragile and easy to bend if the connector is not inserted cleanly. I suspect that one or more pins are either shorted against one another or against the steel shell of the connector. If bent, a mechanical pencil with the lead retracted is good tool to straighten the pins.

#6 zourpatch

zourpatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:15 AM

Ninja - I tried updating the graphics card, but it says my card is already up to date. So that's a no go.

I just found the model number of the monitor. I'm about to try and update the monitor drivers.

nkfro - I just checked. No bents or broken pins. The reason this happened was because I swapped monitors.

#7 zourpatch

zourpatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:01 AM

It seems like I may have broken my graphics card. I just switched computers and used the same monitor and everything is fine.

So if anything, it is just my graphics card that is broken and not the mother board / CPU right? I could just go a purchase a new graphics card and things should be back to normal? Do you think that would fix the problem?

#8 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:11 AM

nkfro - I just checked. No bents or broken pins. The reason this happened was because I swapped monitors.
[/quote]

Which is precisely why the connector was suspect. How often is it seen? Not often, but I have seen it 3 times in 20 years. Good troubleshooting begins with starting with the simplest answer, which is checking the connector(s) for physical damage and you had given no indication of having done so. This does sound like a Plug and Play detection issue that could be corrected by loading the mfg's driver.

#9 zourpatch

zourpatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:49 AM

Which is precisely why the connector was suspect. How often is it seen? Not often, but I have seen it 3 times in 20 years. Good troubleshooting begins with starting with the simplest answer, which is checking the connector(s) for physical damage and you had given no indication of having done so. This does sound like a Plug and Play detection issue that could be corrected by loading the mfg's driver.

Hmm so what would you recommend me doing at this point in time? I can go back and check the pins again. By the way, what is the mfg driver?

Just to add some extra info, I'm using the same video cable from the computer that is experiencing the problem to my other computer and things seem to be working fine.

Edited by zourpatch, 24 December 2009 - 02:54 AM.

#10 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:09 AM

Hmm so what would you recommend me doing at this point in time? I can go back and check the pins again. By the way, what is the mfg driver?

Just to add some extra info, I'm using the same video cable from the computer that is experiencing the problem to my other computer and things seem to be working fine.

"mfgs" is common shorthand for 'manufacturers'. My recomendation was stated in the last sentence. Install the manufacturers driver for the specific monitor you are using. If this does not solve the problem, then you can start considering a flaky graphics card,
which would be odd if the Dell would operate properly before monitor swap and continues to do so once the original monitor is reconnected.

Edited by nkfro, 24 December 2009 - 05:14 AM.

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, I agree with nkfro's last post.

Did you actually go to the website of the manufacturer of the graphics card and look at the latest drivers? You can't trust your Device Manager to tell you if the best drivers are installed because 9 times out of 10 it will say they are fine. Go to the manufacturer's website and download and install the latest drivers for your particular card. Don't forget the monitors, too.

#12 zourpatch

zourpatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:38 AM

Alright I'll give both a shot.

For the monitor drivers, I downloaded it off Dell's site, but I have no idea how to install it. It is in the form of a zip file.

Dell Monitor Driver:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=140469

As for the graphics cards driver, I still have the original CD so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'll give the monitor driver a go first. It's just I'm not sure how to install it properly. I did follow Dells instruction on that same link I provided, but had no luck. I get as far as step 2 under install. The Self-Extracting Driver Installation window appears and prompts to extract files to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R108228. There actually isn't even a window that pop ups. I have to manually create that file location and manually extra it. From there, I do not know how to install the driver. Maybe I have to uninstall and reinstall?

I also noticed that in the device manager under monitor, I see the monitor labeled as a Plug and Play for the Dell.

*Just to clear things up so there are no confusions. As of right now, neither monitor are working properly after the switch on my computer. Neither the HP / Dell.

Edited by zourpatch, 24 December 2009 - 11:59 AM.

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:40 PM

When you use Dell's self-extracting drivers, you just double-click the downloaded file, it will extract the necessary files to the folder of its choice, you click OK, and then the installation window pops up on its own. Just click Next, Next, etc....until it installs. It's very easy.

If the installation does not start on its own after the extraction (which I would be surprised to find out), you'll just have find the folder it was extracted to and run the Setup manually (usually C:\dell\drivers\R######....whatever number it was).

It's much easier than you think. They should self-extract and run automatically. You just have to do Next, OK, etc..with the prompts.

And as far as I know, you don't have to uninstall the old drivers first. If you did, you would likely loose complete functionality in whatever device you were working with (whether it be monitor or not).

But yeah, just double-click them and follow the prompts. If you're confused, post some screenshots ("Print Screen" button on keyboard, paste into Paint, and save) of what you're seeing and we can advise.

#14 zourpatch

zourpatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

Alright I'll give it a shot.

I thought it was simple too when I first tried it. I double-clicked the downloaded zip file and nothing happened which is why I'm a bit surprised as well. No prompt or anything appeared. However I'll give it another shot and I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help by the way.

Would doing this in safe mode be an option? Seeing as how I'm quite limited on time when I run it normally. There are times where even before my computer gets to the desktop, I can see the Windows XP Screen look real choppy. (If that makes any sense.) When the windows xp has lines and is blurry, my screen would black out before it reaches the desktop.

Edited by zourpatch, 24 December 2009 - 04:35 PM.

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:42 PM

Is the icon a blue, tilted E with a hammer and stuff on it? That's what mine look like. I would expect yours to be the same.

Yeah, try double-clicking them again. Sometimes, your double-clicking rhythm is off and it doesn't do right. Give it another go.

I don't think safe mode would be a good idea because Windows only loads the bare-bones drivers and stuff. Installing in that would likely not work. If doing it in regular Windows doesn't, then you can try in safe mode, but don't do it first.

And, you're welcome. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users