Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor and CPU Black Out Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zourpatch

zourpatch

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

I changed my monitor from my Dell one to my HP one that I had downstairs.. For some reason I didn't shut off my computer before unplugging the monitor but I took the monitor out even when the computer was still on. So, I heard the USB disconnection sound from my computer and I went and connected my other HP monitor. After I connected it I got a blue screen then every time I turn on my cpu after 5 or so minutes my screen begins to get lines/black/scratchy and lags; then it begins to black out. I switch my monitor back and the same problem occurs. I'm almost 100% positive it is not the monitors that are malfunctioning. Anyone have any fixes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:55 PM

Might have fried the video card. Leaving the computer on and the monitor on may have caused the monitor to back feed signal into the card causing it damage. Try the monitors on another computer if you can or try swapping in a different video card, those are the only way to test it.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 zourpatch

zourpatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:01 AM

It seems like I may have broken my graphics card. I just switched computers and used the same monitor and everything is fine.

So if anything, it is just my graphics card that is broken and not the mother board / CPU right? I could just go a purchase a new graphics card and things should be back to normal? Do you think that would fix the problem?

#4 cruiselinefans2926

cruiselinefans2926

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:16 AM

hi, ant time when you need to replace or change any hardware it is not safe to do it without shutting down the CPU, it may cause any serious damage.... same you are facing.... i think that your graphic card has been now out of order... replace it and then try... or the port has been damaged.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users