Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

Groan, with impeccable timing my PC has decided to keep locking up just before Christmas.
It's been fine for over a year, but now out of the blue it keeps freezing every hour or so, I try to bring up Task Manager to close it down but it won't appear and all I get is a continuous howl from the speakers, so i have to do a power shutdown and reboot.
Any ideas why it freezes? It happens in the middle of whatever i'm doing such as playing games, surfing, writing or reading email and even in the middle of virus/adware scans.

I'm Win XP Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

It could be anything.

Did you install/uninstall any PC hardware or software before this started to happen?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:01 PM

No, it came on completely out of the blue.
If I knew which general area is at fault it'd narrow it down a bit (hardware, Win XP or my AOL server)
It could of course be a virus or spyware, i've run scans but nothing was found

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

Can you try booting up your PC with a LiveCD (like Knoppix or BartPE) ?
See if the PC continues to freeze. If it persists, it might be a hardware issue and if it seems perfect, your Windows OS will need some looking into.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

I forgot to mention I'm almost totally PC-illiterate, never heard of a 'LiveCD'.
In fact I suspect my Win XP Home is at fault, its been playing up in little ways for a few months like not refreshing forum pages and not remembering passwords.
Can I try repairing it to see if that helps, is there a simple repair option?
Or must I reinstall it, is it easy to do?

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:17 PM

While the fact that freeze ups and Task Manager not launching are signs of possible infection(s). Your symptoms also resemble overheating. You do`t state whether this is a lap top or desk top. Have a look here for a tips on Cleaning the Interior of your PC.

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:29 AM

It's a desk top, i'll read up on overheating but I don't think it's that because the trouble sometimes shows up within 5 minutes of booting up.
PS- and it's midwinter here

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 24 December 2009 - 09:30 AM.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

What Thunder is referring to concerning overheating is actually heat sinks or failing fans which can happen anytime including winter months...Usually CPU temperatures higher than normal can cause these types of problems more times than not...A good cleaning never hurts...FWIW, overheating problems can occurr almost immediately after start-up so I wouldn't rule it out on the basis of 5 minutes being such a short time...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

It's a desk top, i'll read up on overheating but I don't think it's that because the trouble sometimes shows up within 5 minutes of booting up.
PS- and it's midwinter here

Does`t hurt to check. Depending on what is running at start-up and what you do once booted could cause the varying shutdown times. More\less stress on the PC equates to more or less heat over varying periods of time.

The continuous howl you hear could be the BIOS overheat alarm.

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

It very well could be a temp. problem. A good cleaning can only help. Make sure all your fans work. A cpu cooling fan that's not working properly can shut you down in a very short time which is good.

Edited by Layback Bear, 24 December 2009 - 02:04 PM.

#11 BakedDaily

BakedDaily

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

wow this sounds so familiar i had dam near the same problem and it ended up being the result from a bad virus that damaged system files i ran chk disk and got rid of the virus and problem solved

Groan, with impeccable timing my PC has decided to keep locking up just before Christmas.
It's been fine for over a year, but now out of the blue it keeps freezing every hour or so, I try to bring up Task Manager to close it down but it won't appear and all I get is a continuous howl from the speakers, so i have to do a power shutdown and reboot.
Any ideas why it freezes? It happens in the middle of whatever i'm doing such as playing games, surfing, writing or reading email and even in the middle of virus/adware scans.

I'm Win XP Home

#12 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

Yah a virus had crossed my mind but 2 AVG scans have found nothing. I've just asked about it in the virus forum

#13 BakedDaily

BakedDaily

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

avg dont find every thing you should try a multitude of antivirus programs such as MBAM , SAS, and Avira antivirus

Different antivirus software has different virus definitions

#14 BakedDaily

BakedDaily

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:41 AM

I personally suggest that you go to HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal and let the experts there help you. They are great at helping others fix and finding them type of issues.

#15 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

The freeze-ups only happen to me when AOL is running so I think i'll re-install the AOL software in due course in case it was corrupted, and see if it cures the glitches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users