Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying for a clean install but files missing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

win xp pro on a P4 with 512mbRam...

dell dimension 8200

i have a good corporate copy of xp pro with sp3...

ive put the disk in the cdrom...

i did the boot menu start...

it wont boot from the cd rom in xp pro boot start up because its missing the nvrd32.sys file...

how can i get my computer to allow me to do a clean install of xp pro?

i thought if i went to dos and did the c:\ F deal, it would work but i dont know where i go to get into dos. of course its been about 20 years since i had anything to do with dos so i might not want to take this route...

can anyone help me out?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:29 AM

Did you go into the bios and set the boot to CD instead of C:??

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:00 AM

when the computer first comes up i do the F12 for boot setup (i think thats what its called) and yes i set it to CD. it will go through a bunch of files scrolling relatively quickly and then it says "nvrd32.sys not found" press any key to restart your computer or something like that. i havent got it up and running right now so i dont remember exactly what it says...

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

I would change it in the bios to see if you can get by it.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

Instead of pressing F12 press F2...That takes you to BIOS...Make sure that boot sequence is set to run from CD first..,.If this is a genuine XP installation CD when you insert it in the drive and reboot it should start windows set-up immediately (press any key to boot from CD)...usually a black screen...Followed by Set-Up...Follow the instructions from there...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

If this is a genuine XP installation CD

is has a corporate or education license so that all of the computers, of all of the students in my college, will run the same versions of said program...

it is a cd-copy but it has a valid certification(?) code? i dont remember what the 25 digit code is called...

ill try the F2 and double check its supposed to run from CD...

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT....

i did that. i changed it to the IDE CD-ROM Device instead of Hard-Disk Drive C: and saved changes and exited...

i got a black screen with

"strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

of course i just CAME FROM the setup utility but when i press F1 i get a couple of short beep-beeps...

the hard drive is good, the cd rom is good, the computer itself runs just fine (well except for being sluggish as all get out). everything is functional on it i guess would be a better way to say it...

just not working the right way...

Edited by ltdave, 24 December 2009 - 09:54 AM.

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:51 AM

Didn't necessarily mean that your CD wasn't genuine...What I really meant that was it a genuine XP installation CD versus a Recovery CD from Dell...Different animals altogether...

Have you tried to shut the computer completely with the CD in the drive and re-starting? If you haven't try that and let us know what happens...FWIW, 25 digit product key will be needed to complete a fresh installation so have it on hand (if you can get set-up to start)...

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 24 December 2009 - 10:54 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#8 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

Didn't necessarily mean that your CD wasn't genuine...What I really meant that was it a genuine XP installation CD versus a Recovery CD from Dell...Different animals altogether...

oh, no i didnt think you meant it wasnt gen u wine...

ive got my nephew over for Christmas and he works in the IT dept at the school so im going to have him work it out for me...

well be back if we still have issues...

thanks!

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT

okay, the reason the computer wont boot from the cd is because i have a CD-ROM drive but the disk was burned as a DVD image. the nephew will get me a properly imaged disk and well go from there...

Merry Christmas everyone...

Edited by ltdave, 25 December 2009 - 03:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users