Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering from 'Internet Security 2010' malware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SteveScott

SteveScott

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:06 PM

Hey all,

My custom build computer running Win XP Home with service pack 3 recently suffered an attack by the 'Internet Security 2010' malware set. After spending a full day at it, I managed to clear enough of that out that I could use most things, but I'm still having problems running Safe Mode startup, the System Restore Wizard, and installing new programs (like anti-spyware/malware or even java) seems impossible. Also, the computer hangs on shutdown and I have to reset or shut it off manually. I can say with certainty that the system registry has been tampered with extensively. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be deeply appreciative.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boarderXman

boarderXman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, and I joined because I am experiencing the same problem this guy posted about earlier. I got malware on my desk top, which most of it is gone now and I can use most of my computer. However I also cannot install new anti-virus programs and sometimes my computer locks up on boot up and freezes sometimes. If there is any solution to adding new anti-virus software it would be a great help. I've tried to load macafee, Microsoft security essentails and kaspersky, and none of them work. I have downloaded Combofix, which I'm hoping will help me, but I'm not sure how to use. Any help would be great. thanks.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

Here are instructions for the removal of IS2010....Follow them explicity and you should be able to clean things up...Do not attempt to use COMBOFIX without supervision of an expert as it could do more harm than good if used incorrectly. If you need further assistance you can open up a new topic in the "Am I Infected" forum in the security section...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...t-security-2010

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 24 December 2009 - 01:01 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 Nixit

Nixit

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:48 PM

Ok, I followed all instructions on how to remove the "Internet Security 2010 Virus". Now I have an issue connecting to the internet. Both Firefox and IE will not connect to the internet. I did the Internet Explorer system checkout and it just told me to unplug my router and modem. I then tried to do a system restore and it, as I read in the other threads, has been corrupted I think. I run Xp Pro with Service Pack 3. I don't really know what to do at this point, for the fact I have to go to my friends to use the internet to find out what to do on my computer at home!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

<<I did the Internet Explorer system checkout...>>

What might that be, please?

If your NIC isn't working...why not uninstall then reinstall the networking drivers?

Louis

#6 Nixit

Nixit

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

OK I don't think that its a networking problem because I can use my PS3 to get on the forum. The system checkout was just a connection diagnose after IE couldn't connect. Sorry for the confusion.

Update.....Yep it is clear I don't know a damn thing about this kinda stuff. My dns server info was wiped when I did my fix. So never mind I got everything running smoothly now. Thanks for your help hamluis. I just had to read deeper into my problem. I am now back on my computer and everything is running just fine! Nick

Edited by Nixit, 25 December 2009 - 06:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users