Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Default Media Player

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computernovice1234

computernovice1234

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

When I watch a video in youtube, it uses Adobe Flash Player 10 as the default. I would like Real Player to be the default. I am currently using Internet Explorer 8 as my web browser.

I went to Set Program Access And Defaults
Selected the arrow next to custom
Went down to Choose A Default Media Player and selected Real Player and clicked ok.

However it is still using Adobe Flash when I go to youtube and when I go back to Set Program Access And Defaults, Use My Current Media Player is selected.

What do I need to do so that it uses Real Player?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

YouTube videos are in the .flv format (flash video), so they use Adobe's Flash player, irrespective of the browser being used.
You can however, dowload these .flv files off YouTube and use third-party FLV players to play them.

Unfortunately, Real Player doesn't support .flv files.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 23 December 2009 - 05:37 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

As stated above, you can't make Real Player the default for watching YouTube videos. However, if you decide you want to download and watch videos off line using Real Player, see: How to Download Youtube and Other Online Videos using Real Player?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users