Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get AOL off my computer!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cigam0102

cigam0102

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:35 PM

I have a hp w/windows 98 that a friend gave to us because our other one was not operating! The problem is when I launch EI it logs on as IE with AOL attached and also when I first start up the machine it launches the AOL instant messenger and the AOL internet window. It all seems to slow down the computer. So what I did, with some help, was install firefox for my browser and that runs great, but now I want to get rid of the rest so they don't come up when I start the computer. I tried to delete the programs, but that did not work.

Thanks for any info!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

Try the process here. Use B for 98
http://help.channels.aol.com/kjump.adp?art...d=218220#second
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cigam0102

cigam0102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:42 PM

Thanks!

That took the programs off the startup, but when I launch IE the top bar says IE provided by AOL.

Thanks again!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

Ok that can be changed.

Click Start > Run > Type gpedit.msc
Click User Configuration >> Windows Setting >> Internet Explorer Maintenance >>Browser User Interface
Double click on Browser Title
Click on Customize Title Bars
Change the text to whatever you want
Click on OK

:thumbsup:

Edited by boopme, 23 December 2009 - 09:39 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 cigam0102

cigam0102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

When I tried that a window popped up and it read,

Cannot find the file ‘gpedit.msc’ (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

Thanks

Also, I clicked to receive emails if someone posted to this post, and have not received any, do you know if I did something wrong?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:24 PM

Gpedit.msc does not work with 98

You can do it this way or just leave it alone as it is nothing more than a Window title
How to change the Internet Explorer Window title

As this involves a registry tweak, back up your registry as outlined in this article before proceeding
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

Thank you eyesee :thumbsup:

#8 cigam0102

cigam0102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

Gpedit.msc does not work with 98

You can do it this way or just leave it alone as it is nothing more than a Window title
How to change the Internet Explorer Window title

As this involves a registry tweak, back up your registry as outlined in this article before proceeding

Thanks!

You're right it doesn't really matter that much, just erks me! :thumbsup:

Thank you too boopme!

Now for a new topic! :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users