Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP partition and data backup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 santy

santy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

Hi
Now a days, i am facing lot of malware problems. Looks like my sytem has become vulnerable. I have Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with XP SP 2 and no drive partition. To avoid future attacks, I want to reformat and reinstall the system, however I do not want to take back up on external drive. how to create a partition in working system and then take the backup.
please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:37 PM

Your best bet would be to backup the data, after which you can format the hard disk and create necessary partitions using the Windows installation disk.
Next, select the C: partition and install Windows.

Good luck!

P.S: You can also use a LiveCD like Knoppix or BartPE, to access your hard disk and backup data.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 23 December 2009 - 01:37 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 santy

santy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

thanks for the quick reply. But how do I take a backup of huge data , if i do not want to use the external hard drive.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

The LiveCD is like an OS altogether, only it runs off the CD and doesn't need to be installed.
So connect an external HD of your choice and use the LiveCD to copy stuff from your old HD to your external HD.

There are quite a few LiveCDs to choose from.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 23 December 2009 - 03:18 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

<<...however I do not want to take back up on external drive. how to create a partition in working system and then take the backup.>>

Generally...you cannot back up a partition...to the same partition that is being backed up.

If you mean that you want to resize your current partition...create a new/additional partition...and then back up the resized partition...that can be done (if the hard drive is large enough).

Easeus Partition Master - http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-parti...g-partition.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 December 2009 - 03:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users