Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malaware problem after using tutorial.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dverbal

dverbal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

So I followed this tutorial down to the T.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...t-security-2010

everything went great with rkill and I downloaded the random exe to replace mbam.exe. However, when I try to run malaware I get this error message:

"The database you are using is not supported by this version of Malawarebytes' Anti-Malware. Download the latest version of the program"

Is there an older version of the program I need to run this random exe? Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

What version are you using
I believe it should be 1.42 off the top off my head
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

You are correct Mark, as of this and your post time stamps it is ver. 1.42.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:07 PM

Hello I am moving this to the Am I Infected section of the Security forum.

Can you run this (SAS) first. You may need Rhill again. If Safe mode is unavailable use normal But let me know.

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 dverbal

dverbal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

That program messed my boot up!

(sorry for Ny weird
formatting or spell errors, Im typing on an iPhone)

Ok, so upon the first try of installing this superspyware
program I got an install error saying it would not install as my computer was in safe mode (which it
was not). I restarted a couple of times and got
the installer to run smoothly. I tried
to boot the program and it
froze my computer up. I shut it down and tried to restart in safe
mode after selecting the safe mode I got a blue screen of death and it rebooted, sending me back to the boot options. It would not start in safe mode so I tried to start it normally. It would not boot, the windows screen comes on and then NOTHING. I ran a disk
check and it was spitting out some garbage about files in the superspyware directory.

Help! This program junked my computer!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:02 AM

Actually it is the malware that is Borking your machine. Your malware is attacking all repair tools..

Looks like you will need to boot off your install /repair cD and run a Repair install of a full format and reinstall. The second will erase all data from your hard drive.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users